Close

Question TMC2130 Layer Shifting Above ~30mm/s

Hi everyone! I have recently made the decision to gut the motherboard out of my Da Vinci 1.0 Pro because of malfunctions and the extreme noise. I replaced it with an SKR 1.3 and TMC2130's on XYE axes using SW SPI and Marlin bugfix-2.0.x. (LCD and BLTouch too) The printer is working really well and I can get flawless prints, miles better than the stock board could, but I'm stuck doing it very slowly. The layer shifting appears on the X and Y axes randomly, sometimes the first layer, sometimes near the end, but only above 30mm/s. The other problem is my stepper motors are very hot, sometimes too hot to touch after a longer print. I understand stealthChop doesn't have a ton of torque so I tried switching to spreadCycle but the squealing was so loud (on any voltage) that I couldn't hear someone next to me talking. Things I have tried:

Increasing the voltage from 12V to 36V via a boost converter (and changing the setting in firmware) - resulted is basically no change

Increasing and decreasing the motor currents with M906 from currents 200-1200ma (and for the heck of it the potentiometers on the drivers themselves) - had some improvement in the higher current ranges but resulted in tons of heat and remaining layer shifting (changed the pitch of the spreadCycle squeal though)

Lubricating the slider rods - no difference, wasn't much friction to begin with

Checking belt tension - they all have spring tensioners and are pretty tight

I have spent ~20 hours total just messing with Gcodes and firmware settings and test prints because of this one problem but I cannot seem to figure it out. Maybe it has something to do with how it jults and slams every time it switches directions? I read about jerk somewhere but can't seem to figure it out, that might not be related anyways. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files