Close

My first 3D printer

Hi everyone! I am looking to buy my first 3D printer. To start with I'm looking to pick it up as a hobby and see what I can do with it which makes it a bit difficult to choose what to buy. Below are the options that I am considering atm, would love some feedback and any new suggestions! Price does matter since it will be my first printer but if it is worth it to spend the extra money I am willing to consider.

-Monoprice Voxel ($627)
    -Qidi Tech X-Smart ($599)
    -Flashforge Advanture 3 ($525)
    -FLSUN QQ-S 90% Pre-assembled Delta ($399)
    -Qidi Tech New Model: X-one2 ($399)

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    If it is for a hobby and you want to learn to work with the machine then you would do better to start with a cheap low end printer. Up front you will get the experience of assembly and becomming familiar with all the parts that make up your new robot. And then as you identify quality issues and chase down and apply upgrades you will gain an intimate knowledge of your machine. Likewise if you spend a higher dollar amount on a printer that needs no upgrade or is not going to take upgrades then upon any problems you will find your way here or somewhere for help because you dont understand past the robot isnt doing what it is supposed to. Wierd how we all use our money to escape experience and buy our way out of learning, isn't it? From where i stand the open source product that is completely unassembled should be the more expensive product. Because it trains you on the basics before you start using the machine. Such a brilliant design. Fact is if you dont have the patience to assemble a machine you likely will not have the patience for 3d printing.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    out of those 4, for a beginner - I'd probably go for the voxel or the qidi xsmart - almost identical machines.
    qidi have better support.

The best machine on there for printing is probably the flsun delta - but delta's can be tricky buggers to calibrate.
    It does claim one click autolevelling - so that should remove the main issue.
    I love deltas.

For the price the flsun does look like a very decent machine and we don't get many people on here complaining about flsun machines.
    Honestly, I can't recall anyone.

So a toss up between the voxel/xsmart and the flsun.

The vozel has smaller print volume, but a direct drive extruder - so better for flexible filaments.
    That said I have no problems printing flexibles on my delta. Admittedly my rep pro clone does a much much better job, but the delta will print the stiffer flexibles if you print slow enough.

Given the price difference, on balance I'd probably go for the flsun

Really appreciate the advice! I finally got around to purchasing my printer today and I ended up going for the flsun. Probably will be back on here for more advice very soon... :-P

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Well it has been a month since I gave my advice and times have changed as they always do in the tech industry. Today I honestly believe the best starter printer to be the Prusa mini: https://www.prusa3d.com/original-prusa-mini/

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well that's new.
    Didn't see one at the tct show. Mind you after I'd nearly killed the mk3 we kind of avoided the prusa stand.

I presume the reason for the geared extruder is to use a smaller stepper motor and reduce weight of the gantry. Although running down the spec sheet - it's a bowden setup, so, no idea.

Yep got to say that's a good looking machine. It's the electronics he's using these days that sets them apart.
    You've got a monoprice mini don't you ? Basically same design.

I always think you'll have issues with the long unsupported gantry, but obviously not.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-15-2019 at 05:00 AM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    The MP mini builds a 120mm cube. This Prusa mini builds a 180mm cube. 20mm on each axis short of the 200mm cube that used to be the standard for 3d printers. small footprint but generous build envelope for its size. Also the 3:1 gear reduction ensures that the stepper motor is spinning faster at lower feedrates. Just like the Titan Aero. Do you remember the Gregg Wade extruders? I used 3 of them for my mixing printer years back.. That was a 10.43:1 ratio. And then my Tevo Black Widow printer came with this extruder that had 5:1 reduction.. I switched it to a Titan Aero for that 3:1 but I think that is the gold standard for the average E. 3:1 puts the steps per MM into such a happy place the motor has gobs more torque, it spins smoother, and there is the most precise control without overloading the processor with crazy math from 5,000 steps/mm of travel.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 10-15-2019 at 04:53 PM.