Close

Support Material Issue. Help

I cannot post a link yet so...if you youtube "3D PRINT THORN" and select the video by "3d printing nerd"....then skip to 2:00 you will see the section I am having a hard time with. It is NOT my print/printer, but its the only image i have of what I am trying to print.

I am having an issue getting the support material that shows up to the FAR LEFT (that little spike) to stick to the bed. The rest of the print is perfect and clean, but this part always pulls up or bunches up.

Things I have tried:

- Raising/Lowering the extruder/bed temps
    - Slowing down the initial layers
    - Leveled the Bed (I have done this a few times). Bed Leveling test prints come out GREAT
    - I have even rotated the print so that this piece is in different corners of the plate

Doesn't matter what I do, I cannot get that support material to stick.

Suggestions?
    Can I maybe increase the support pattern % to create a more compact support section?
    I am also considering a RAFT to get it to stick. And this, for me, is desperate.

Again the REST of the print is perfect. Even the other places that start with support material. But that one spot isn't sticking.

I did not look at the video but sounds like you have a single support structure that keeps falling over. no idea what slicer you are using, this info is for Simplified 3D V 4.01
    On the support tab, use 4 or 5 support base layers, make sure lower vertical separation layers set to 0, add additional support infill angles, manually add additional supports, Utilize a brim (6 skit outlines, .04mm offset)

Quote Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
    I did not look at the video but sounds like you have a single support structure that keeps falling over. no idea what slicer you are using, this info is for Simplified 3D V 4.01On the support tab, use 4 or 5 support base layers, make sure lower vertical separation layers set to 0, add additional support infill angles, manually add additional supports, Utilize a brim (6 skit outlines, .04mm offset)
    I am using Cura. I am not sure the support structure is "falling over" as it really doesn't want to stick from the start. One of my attempts it got thru the first layer or so of the support "web" but then either pulls up or the filament bunches up there.I need to take a couple pictures of it when it messes up.

EDIT: I am going to try to slow down the support print speed. This is a pretty thin area so....this may help.
    Last edited by roastincoffee; 08-23-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well you've got several options.
    1) use some magigoo on the bed.
    2) print that part seperately on a different part of the bed.

For future reference, we do like to know things:
    what printer, spftware, material, speed termp settings etc. You know, basic information :-) Saves time and posts like this asking for all the information that people habitually leave out :-)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well you've got several options. 1) use some magigoo on the bed. 2) print that part seperately on a different part of the bed. For future reference, we do like to know things: what printer, spftware, material, speed termp settings etc. You know, basic information :-) Saves time and posts like this asking for all the information that people habitually leave out :-)
    Sorry! I am not sure I understand what you mean by printing that part separately. I really cannot split that piece off the model without making for a pretty ugly connection.
    • Slicer: Cura (latest build)
    • Printer: Mono-Price Maker Select v2 w/Borosilicate glass.
    • Extruder Temp 215
    • Bed Temp 70
    • Initial Layer Speed 10
    • Print Speed 30
    • Wall Thickness 0.2
    • (I will get more of the settings posted)

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Are trying to print a .2mm wall, Do you have a .2mm nozzle or smaller. I would really like to see this.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    looking at the video of the 'thorn' gun. It's in several parts.
    So the part you are having problems with can be split from the rest, printed seperately and moved to a different part of the bed.

If that doesn't work, then you need better bed adhesion.
    Settings look fine, 70c is a bit hot for pla - 50-65 is usually better.
    If the bed is too hot with pla, then it will stay really soft, which could be one reason that part is lifting.
    Magigoo and a cooler bed will fix that.

Try 55c for the bed and 150% thickness for the first layer.
    Gettin a thicker firstlayer down acts like using araft and can fix this kind of issue.