Close

Student
    Add caleb1 on Thingiverse

Best Flexible Filaments for Dremel 3D45

does anyone have any suggestions as to a good flexible filament to use with the dremel digilab 3d45?
    I've seen some flexible filaments but wanted to see if anyone has anything to suggest specifically for this printer.

Thanks.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it's a direct drive printer - so, in theory, should not have a problem with any of them.
    I do recommend starting with flexible pla - it tends to be that little bit stiffer than tpu, and easier to use.

You shouldn't need to heat the bed for flexibles either and there's zero warp.
    most flexible pla prints best between 220-230.
    Print slow. 15-30 mm/s and expect a fair bit of stringing.
    retractions should be short and slow.

My current favourite flexible pla is sienoc. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It's almost exactly like polymakers polyflex - but cheaper :-)

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    it's a direct drive printer - so, in theory, should not have a problem with any of them.
    I do recommend starting with flexible pla - it tends to be that little bit stiffer than tpu, and easier to use.

You shouldn't need to heat the bed for flexibles either and there's zero warp.
    most flexible pla prints best between 220-230.
    Print slow. 15-30 mm/s and expect a fair bit of stringing.
    retractions should be short and slow.

My current favourite flexible pla is sienoc.
    It's almost exactly like polymakers polyflex - but cheaper :-)
    Many thanks, I will take this into consideration.

Caleb1, I don't have that printer but have used Ninjaflex and just tried NinjaTech Cheetah. The cheetah has is not as stretchy as ninjaflex and prints very well. Depending on your extruders ability to pull soft filament you may need to gravity feed the filament. I know I do with the MakerGear M2 direct drive.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah the difference between flexi pla nd tpu like ninjaflex is that tpu's tedn to be pretty elastic.
    So they will stretch fairly easily. The flexible pla's tend to be a lot less stretchy.
    Which makes them easier to use :-)

Student
    Many thanks all,
    This is some good information I will take into account.
    I think I'm going to get some flexible pla.

I have a 3D45 and have successfully printed NinjaFlex however it took some adjustments which I will list below. One important factor is to minimize the resistance in the filament path. The NinjaFlex spool will fit inside the printer but the center hole is too large and the spool will drag on its od. I have printed bearings to fit the spool id using Airsoft BB's to minimize spool drag. To minimize filament drag with small prints I will sometimes assist by puling excess filament above the feed tube. I have found the following settings to produce good results with great layer adhesion.
    Hot end --245C
    Bed -------50C
    Flow-------115 to 118%
    Fan -------100%
    Speed ----20 to 30
    Layer-----.12 to .22 mm
    I found the average filament diameter to be ~1.74 mm and used it in my settings.