Close

frame-only kit recommendations ?

Hi! First time poster here, but long-time 3d printer-er.

I've got a (very) cheap Prusa clone built from a kit - plywood frame, no-name Chinese clone components etc. By rights it should never have really worked well at all, and out of the box it didn't, but by detailed calibration, firmware tweaking (Marlin), component replacement etc etc it's put in very creditable service - I've actually been producing and selling some small hobby parts with it, and it's paid for itself several times over.

Sadly though, I think it's starting to show its age, it's slowly vibrated itself to death. I recently overhauled the y-axis, but even a few prints later and that's wobbling again. I think it might be time to upgrade.

I'd like to build my own machine, so I'm looking for a kit that gives the frame only (+ bed, belts, axis bits & bobs). I'd like to put my own electronics and motors on it so that I know exactly what's going on under the hood. The frame should be durable, strong, accurate and long-lasting, maybe aluminium rather than wood this time !

Do such frame kits exist ? Can anyone recommend one ?

Cheers,

Stu

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    so basically eevrything bar the motors and motherboard ?

Just buy a printer and swap those few bits.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anet-upgrad...gateway&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Anet-All-Meta...gateway&sr=8-1
    the new anet a8 plus, is probably the best place to start.

Decent price actually, isn't it - hmmm...

read the reviews on here, looks good - ordered one

got to wait for the slow boat from China now

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    bear in kind that it's ana anet - so cheap electronic components. Which is good as those are the bits you want to upgrade anyway :-)

But it's a solid aluminium extruson frame with a good sized build volume and all the good aspects of an i3: dual bed support, dual z-motors and direct drive extruder.

definitely a good place to start :-)