Close

Recorder mouthpiece problems with ABS in Ender 3

Hi everyone! This is my first post here and I have to say that I am a beginner too in 3D printing in general. I have an Ender 3 that works quite well when I try to print the sample models that come with it. I first tried a sample lion in PLA and the result was amazing: great resolution and sturdiness. However, when I try to print in ABS a mouthpiece that I got from Thingiverse and later edited in Tinkercad, I get a beautiful print that works quite well but that is very weak. I have already broken two mouthpieces by only handling them and don't know what is the problem. Please find attached two pictures that show the horizontal lines that make the model so weako you have any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff Engineer
    ABS will delaminate during the print if you do not have an enclosed print area. Even a cardboard box over the printer will reduce unwanted cooling and may solve the cracking problem. What are your part cooling fan settings for this print? If you are running the fan throughout the print, consider to reduce fan speed or stop it entirely.

Thank you very much! I will try to isolate the printing area and reduce the fan speed.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    also what temp and speed are you printing at ?

And for the record - pla will most likely be a better material for the mouthpiece anyway :-)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    also what temp and speed are you printing at ?

And for the record - pla will most likely be a better material for the mouthpiece anyway :-)
    I am printing at 240? the extruder and 80? the bed. I choose ABS because apparently it's easier to get a good finishing by using acetone, while with PLA people say that it is much more difficult (although I have read recently that you can get a pro look by using something called Tetrahydrofuran).

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    You want it shiny ?
    you looked at polymakers 'polysmooth' ?

What speed are you printing at ?
    abs needs to be printed slower than pla.