Close

Shapeways Introduces Platinum, and 3 New Gold Materials

Today Shapeways has announced the addition of 4 new materials, all metals, to their ever expanding lineup of 3d printable materials. They are Platinum, 18k gold, 14k rose gold, and 14k white gold. All materials are cast from a 3D printed wax mold. This will make Shapeways quite an attractive option for jewelry designers around the world. The pricing and details of the metals can be found here: http://3dprint.com/7380/shapeways-platinum-jewelry/

Below is a sample of all four new materials. Will this make you consider using Shapeways for your jewelry project?

Well I did before already, so it won't stop me.

Technologist
    definitely

The Platinum is 95% pure! Platinum is strong. I wondered why they even bother with the 5% alloy. At Wikipedia they say this:

Because of its ability to harden platinum and palladium, ruthenium is used in platinum and palladium alloys to make wear-resistant electrical contacts. In this application, only thin plated films are used to achieve the necessary wear-resistance. Because of its lower cost and similar properties compared to rhodium,[16] the use as plating material for electric contacts is one of the major applications.[8][29] The thin coatings are either applied by electroplating[30] or sputtering.[31]

So I guess they want your Platinum ShapeWays purchase to be very strong and wear-resistant!
    Last edited by Roxy; 06-30-2014 at 02:44 PM.