Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any idea why I am getting layer separation

I have an Ender 3 pro and I am getting layer separation on my prints. It is a brand new spool of PLA that was only opened a couple of hours ago. Any idea why this may be happening?

A friend has been helping me and says he is sure the bed is level.

The prints start off ok and the first few layers are ok. Then I get layer separation.

I have added a couple of photos of the two failed prints to this post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My layer height is 0.3
    My print temp is 210
    My build plate temp is 60
    My flow is 100
    My retraction distance is 7 mm
    My retraction speed is 50mm/s
    My fan speed is 25
    My Build plate adhesion type is skirt
    My skirt line count is 4
    I am printing on glass and I use pritt stick.
    I use Cura to slice my files. This is happening with all the things I try and print. It also happened when I just tried to print a test file that came with the printer. I have enclosed a photo of the failed test file print.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No idea why, but from what I have read on this forum the Ender 3 is a very poor designed and built printer. It does not help you but unfortunately you are on an up hill battle that you shouldn't have to fight as a new user, Yes learning curve but the Gcode test files provided by the manufacture should print perfectly. Sorry for your pain but I think you are on your own as I have heard the manufacture does not help much. If you can return the printer for a refund and restart your research for a good unit that fits your budget you will probably have a much better experience.
    Good luck!

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by ennogs View Post
    My layer height is 0.3
    My print temp is 210
    My build plate temp is 60
    My flow is 100
    My retraction distance is 7 mm
    My retraction speed is 50mm/s
    My fan speed is 25
    My Build plate adhesion type is skirt
    My skirt line count is 4
    I am printing on glass and I use pritt stick.
    I use Cura to slice my files. This is happening with all the things I try and print. It also happened when I just tried to print a test file that came with the printer. I have enclosed a photo of the failed test file print.
    I would start by checking out the beds eccentric nuts, if the eccentric are nuts are not at the right tension the bed will wobble, which will cause layer adhesion problems.

I would make sure that the Bed leveling adjusters springs are about 1/2 compressed, if they are too loose this could also cause the wobbling effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    I would start by checking out the beds eccentric nuts, if the eccentric are nuts are not at the right tension the bed will wobble, which will cause layer adhesion problems.

I would make sure that the Bed leveling adjusters springs are about 1/2 compressed, if they are too loose this could also cause the wobbling effect.
    Thank you.

I think I may have found the problem. After looking at my failed prints photos a couple of people suggested that I wasn't printing PLA. I got in touch with my PLA supplier and they have confirmed they sent me one white PLA, one blue PLA and two black ABS. All the time we have been trying to work out was wrong with my printer and it was that I had ABS on the spool not PLA.
    We, well I say we I mean my friend and his Dad have tried a lot of things to get my printer going right.
    I am doing a print now. I am 100% using PLA to print. Hopefully this should go ok now.

Good news I changed the black ABS for white PLA and my test print was perfect.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by ennogs View Post
    Good news I changed the black ABS for white PLA and my test print was perfect.
    Welll my first though was that you were printing with ABS but, You said it was PLA so let that ideal leave my head.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well that explains the other thread as well :-)

why on earth did you buy abs ?

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well that explains the other thread as well :-)

why on earth did you buy abs ?
    I didn't mean to buy ABS. I thought I had ordered PLA. Somehow I manage to order 1 white PLA, 1 blue PLA and 2 black ABS. When they arrived there was no labeling to say PLA or ABS. I was wrongly working on the assumption I had ordered 2 black PLA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast