Close

Filament for parts in engine compartment

Hello

I am designing an air intake plenum that will be in a 400mm diameter circular shape.

It will ontop of a fuel injection system so it is a quite touch enviroment.
    Both heat and fuel vapour will attack the plenum

Is there any chance at all any kind of filament plastic can withstand this?
    It can probably be around 100C (200F) here

You might consider researching ASA filament as a possibility.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    hi-temperature pla will go up to 120c

There's the cheap stuff that you cure in a low oven and the expensive stuff that doesn't need curing.
    Can't remember who makes the no-bake hi-temp pla.

ASA is basically a slightly modified abs - doesn't go any higher for temp tolearance.

Actually to a certain extent it depends on your printer.

If you have a top notch hotend that will do 300c, then polycarbonate is probably your best friend:
    • rigid.ink’s Polycarbonate filament is an engineering grade, extremely impact-resistant thermoplastic. Perfect for a wide range of uses where you need one of the toughest plastics around, that can handle higher temperatures for demanding applications.
    • With a Glass Transition of around 150?C your prints will hold their dimensional accuracy for temperatures up to around 120-130?C, but please be aware you need a hot end nozzle temperature of at least 280?C+. If you need a print to withstand higher temperatures, Polycarbonate could be it.
    although A heated print enclosure would also be a good idea. getting it to stick to a print bed is a right larf ! (I have yet to do so succesfully). In my experience it either does not stick or sticks like a limpet on steroids and cannot be removed. I have a couple of rolls of polymaker pc - it included a sheet of something. And while it did stick to the sheet - it did not come off. Actually ripped the surface from the sheet. I said as much to polymaker and they said: ' yes, we noticed that'. :-)

If you have a printer that can work with plycarbonate, then do so :-)

Then there's this stuff: https://eu.polymaker.com/product/polymide-copa/
    Again, not cheap - but looks much easier to work with than polycarbonate
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-31-2019 at 02:38 PM.