Close

Are these dual-extruder printers worth the money?

Dear experts,

I am about to purchase my 1st 3D printer and I would like to hear some feedback. I am currently researching what models to avoid, etc.
    There are reviews and youtube videos out there about various printers, but I am not sure if those are reliable sources, or rather marketing from the manufactures...

I am happy to say that I convinced my 2 sons to spent their money on a 3D printer, instead of a Nintendo Switch. So the main goal/purpose of the printer will be to print little 'gadgets' for my kids.

Anyway, here is the 3 cheapest printer I have found so far:
    1) Zonestar P802QR2
    2) Qidi Tech X-Pro
    3) Maker Farm 10" Pegasus Kit with the dual extruder option

The first one is dangerously cheap! Shall I totally avoid it?

Why dual extruders?
    I love the idea of water-solvable support material. And as far as I know I need dual extruders for that to print, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
    Tamas

It seems to me that the QIDI TECH I is also a dual extruder printer.
    But I am not really able to see what is the difference between the Tech 1 and the X-Pro.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    get the qidi pro.

The other twoo would be fine for an experienced 3d printer who doesn't mind basically rebuilding it before it'll work properly.

The qidi pro - is the upgraded version of the tech 1 - touch screen, wifi, can restart prints if the filament runs out or breaks.

Calibration can be tricky - but that's pretty much standard for any 3d printer (apparently even the ones with auto calibration).

you have to read the descriptions to find the differences :-)
    The QIDI TECH 3D Printer with metal platform support rod, which upgraded to 12mm, and also including upgraded parts like motor, main board, and mechanical structure, ensuring more stable printing.
    Basically - yes it's worth the extra money.

As far as dual prints go. The qidi, flashforge pro, biqu etc are probably the easiest of the fixed dual nozzle systems to use (I have 2 - though one has had one of the extruders removed, as if you don't use it - it's a bloody annoyance)
    If you can afford it get an idex (independant dual extruder) machine.
    But cheap they are not. https://tiny-machines-3d.myshopify.c...ot-t-rex-3-500

But awesome they are :-)

But as long as both nozzles on the qidi are perfectly level - it works pretty well.
    As far as slicers go - really really important !
    for me - flashprint is hand down the best for the replicator dual clones (what all the 230x150x150 boxes all are). Makes using two materials really simple.
    I have so far failed utterly to get simplify3d to do a succesful dual print. That said I haven't tried for a while (couple of years), the new version might work.

You should be able to use flashprint though - which is free :-)

Dual extrusion actually isn't anywahere as useful as you think it's going to be :-)

Because of the purgewall it uses a lot more filament and takes a lot longer than a single nozzle print. You can also get issues with a print head catching on what the other is printing.
    But it is a nice option to have. haven't heard of any major issues with nozzles catching on the qidi's - so hopefully not a problem.

But, yep - unless you can afford an idex system, then the qidi x-pro is about as good as it gets for conventional dual extruders.

They do have their own slicer: qidiprint - but as it's 64bit only, I can't test it on my own systems - I am rebuilding a system for a client this afternoon - so I'll have a look on there.
    Looks like a customised version of original cura (way better than current cura). So flashprint will probably be a lot better :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-26-2019 at 06:12 AM.

Oh yeah, if the slicer talk above is confusing you - I suggest you do some reading before you buy the printer :-)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=introdu...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Also start learning how to design your own models.
    I recommend openscad - but that's because I can't draw in 2d: http://www.openscad.org/
    Lots of tutorial on the net, it's actually much easier to use than it first appears :-)
    Also tinkercad is worth looking at - as long as you have decent internet speed. https://www.tinkercad.com/

Also if you use windows 10 (spits) then the 3d builder app will also let you design stuff. I have tried it, didn't like it - but I suspect as it's microsoft I was biased anway.

There are also apps on both apploe (spits again) and android that can both create models and slice and send to the printer (one reason wifi could be useful) haven't tried any myself (can't draw remember), but they're around.

Try and avoid sketchup - it's not great at outputting solid cad models, and for 3d printing: solid cad is what you have to have.

Also there will be qidi facebook groups. I find the facebook 3dprinter groups are full of people either:
    1) complaining that it doesn't work all by itself and they have to think and it hurts.
    2) who just want to change and 'upgrade' everything - regardless of whether it needs it or not.

But occasionally they can be helpful, lol
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-26-2019 at 06:28 AM.

Thank you so much curious aardvark for the long and detailed reply. Tons of information, for every newcomer, like me. I really appreciate your time and effort!

Qidi X-pro is then...

You've linked a couple of books . Around 21, quite a choice.
    Any particular that worth the money? Or one that should be avoided?

the only book I own, is now a little out of date. But really only so far as the printers available today go.
    practical 3d printing by brian evans.
    Covers just about everything from printers to designing. I'd still say it's worth reading - but maybe get it from a library rather than buy it. It was last updated in 2012 - about when I bought it.
    It does mention the makerbot replicator - which is what the qidi is based on.
    Just a really good collection of knowlege.

I read it from cover to cover before I actually got a printer.

Qidi X-Pro ordered. Hopefully it will be in on Friday!!!

Looking at the product site (http://www.qd3dprinter.com/products/x-pro/) I see it mention the extruder temp (0-240C).
    Does this mean that I will be able to use any filament that need this temperature range?

yes, to be fair most extruders will go up to 260c.

If you want to print abs (no idea why - but you might) then generally it prints a little higher than 240c, as does most nylon, pet-g depends who you ask :-)
    But yep the qidi is an open source machine as far as filament goes.