Close

Question Dremel 3D20 Printing Help!

Hello friends!I recently bought a Dremel 3D20 printer, I'm very new to the craft and I've already run into some problems, I hope some folk from the community can help me out here!

Please, refer to the following album to check out the images:https://imgur.com/a/3xFW7Ji

This is my first print. It is a photo frame for photos of my doggos. The actual piece is not as big as the picture suggests. I modeled this in Blender and used Dremel's DigiLab 3D Slicer for model preparation. I used the default settings without any modification. I have two main issues.

The first one is these "scars" I see on the surface - They appear to be holes, where no material has been ?printed?. I?ve tweaked some of the parameters according to articles I've read, but the issue that still persists to this very day.

The second issue is the most worrisome for me. In all of my custom prints (not pre-loaded models that Dremel provides), I've seen this. Just before the print finishes (the printer's progress bar is at 99% and the printer is tracing the final paths) the printer suddenly stops.In Dremel's case there?s a sound that the printer plays proudly announcing the end of the print, however, some of the paths are still unfinished (Please, refer to the last picture of my album).

There are, again, some obvious holes where no material has been placed. I don?t know if this issue is somewhat connected to the first one.The printer just stops: the extruder does not return to its home position, thus, leaking some material and forming "bubbles" on the last layer. The building platform is also not lowered.

This is driving me nuts, it seems that the printer just says "fuck it, 99% is close to 100%, here you go!" but just with my own prints! I can see the extruder homing and the building platform retracting after finishing in all the Dremel models I?ve printed! (3 so far).

If someone has any advice for me, it'd be greatly appreciated, I assure you!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    are you printing via an sd card or over usb etc.

Looks like a few issues.
    First layer is definitely going down too fast. I'd also say there's under extrusion. Often caused by printing pla too cool.

Standard settings are useless - never yet seen any I agree with.
    Always go for the advanced setup and learn to set your own speeds, temps, retraction settings etc.
    Some of the markings on the frame are down to movement without retractions and retraction settings that aren't working.

Any idea what temp and speed you are printing at ?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    are you printing via an sd card or over usb etc. Looks like a few issues.
    First layer is definitely going down too fast. I'd also say there's under extrusion. Often caused by printing pla too cool.

Standard settings are useless - never yet seen any I agree with. Always go for the advanced setup and learn to set your own speeds, temps, retraction settings etc.
    Some of the markings on the frame are down to movement without retractions and retraction settings that aren't working. Any idea what temp and speed you are printing at ?

Hello curious aardvark! Thanks for replying!

Yeah, I'm printing via SD. I'm printing PLA at a (default) temperature of 220?C. I've read that this temperature might be too high - and it may be, as I believe some of the material leaks towards the end.

I too have read that those markings can be adjusted via the retraction settings. I've since adjusted some values since. This is my current setup:

- Initial Printing Temperature: 210?C
    - Printing Temperature: 210?C
    - Final Printing Temperature: 205?C
    - Retraction Distance: 3 mm
    - Retraction Speed 25.0 mm/s
    - Retraction Extra Prime Amount: 0.5 mm ^3
    - Additionally, I've enabled the Z hop when retracted setting, "Hopping" at a height of 1 mm.

I'm still seeing some markings on the top layer and some under extrusion on the first layer.

Hey Dude!

Try these settings, They seemed to fix the problems I had.

- Initial Printing Temperature: 210
    - Printing Speed - 50 mm/s
    - Printing Temperature: 210
    - Bed Temperature: 45
    - Final Printing Temperature: 190
    - Retraction Distance: 4.5 mm
    - Retraction Speed 40.0 mm/s
    - Retraction Extra Prime Amount: leave alone