Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    Well i've heard the patents for SLS would expire soon
    There are a hell of a lot of patents regarding SLS, most of which are active for quite a while yet.

I believe some patent on SLS from the University of Texas expires in 2014 or end of 2013 or sometime, but I can't seem to find anyone specifying what exact patent is being talked about. Of the 3 patents U of T got in 1994, I believe they're talking about #5,296,062 "Multiple Material Systems For Selective Beam Sintering".

Not what you are after - But cool; You can print in solder. That's metal! 3mm 0.4 +> extruder.

http://hackaday.com/2013/11/07/3d-pr...metal-at-home/

Student
    presenting the mini metal maker!!!
    It's build volume is small(6cm*6cm*6cm) but a great idea none the less.
    it can be purchased assembled and with some clay included for $1000. Only 9 of those left on the campaign.
    you need to print the object then fire it in a kiln at 600˚C-900˚C.
    Looks really cool but I'll probably hold off on getting one. really want to make richraps 3dr first.

There are many folders and document on RepRap.org community site about SLS and metal printing. But I think because SLS partens will actually expire and be available as open source in 2014, they are not offical RepRaps for now. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hmmm... interesting challenge. Since the RepRap is an Open Hardware platform, there is a feasablility to this idea.

You would have to select your metal ahead of time, and build the printer to the material.
    - The metal should be easy to get in wire form (your filament).
    - I'd replace the hobbed bolt, in the extruder, with rubbered feed wheels.
    - You would probably want to built a ceramic hotend and nozzle.
    - Heat control would be critical. You want it just hot enough that the metal starts to ooze, not fully liquified.
    - Ceramic print surface.

Lots of other considerations... still, it would be interesting to see someone try this.

Student
    I lost the link, however, a few months ago, there was a website selling kits for a laser for around 150 bucks. If you look at some of the sites such as hackaday, you should be able to find a hack for those laser pointer pens to make them start fires/cut items. From what I remember, the hack is from removing the laser diode from old dvd burners. I believe that the main issue is the amount of infrared light that they emit. The following is a link for a diy laser cutter... It should be possible to use this to sinter iron powder. http://hackaday.com/2013/12/20/diy-laser-cutter/ I do not see a reason why we cant use this for SLS. We may have to use a different lens perhaps to improve the output.

In a few months, I plan on attempting this hack for the same reasons. If no one beats me to it, I plan on document my work. I cannot guarantee any of the patent availability.

take lots of notes and pictures, please!

Wow, $150 for the laser seems like a decent deal. You would think more companies would make lasers for this. I'm sure it is just a matter of time.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DR1983 View Post
    I do not see a reason why we cant use this for SLS.
    I do. I expect you're going to need about a thousand times more juice. The laser in that thing is 300 milliwatts. The lasers used in current metal SLS/DMLS/SLM printers are in the 300-400 Watt range.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast