Close

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse

1st ABS Failed Print

Today I had my first failed ABS print.
    Although it was defiantly my fault, was still a my first failed ABS Print, now this was a simple error on my part.
    As I was in a hurry to print the model I forgot it was sliced for PLA an not for ABS, so I was printing an ABS model at PLA temperatures, below is the results of this error.

You can see very easily that the model had no intentions on staying flat on the hot-bed at 42C.

So in the future I will need to pay much more attention when selecting the 3D Models I want to Print.
    It is quite simply an easy task to change from PLA to ABS, as all that is required is to change the Nozzle and Hot-bed temperatures, I do not even worry about the parts cooling fan speed, as when printing inside my homemade enclosure the heated air blowing on the model does not seen to disturb it in any way whatsoever.

Here is the same model printed by changing the PLA temps to bed 96C an nozzle 228C.

Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 06-05-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    228 would seem alittle cool for abs.

betcha if you printed the same thing in pla at 210 and then tried to bend them both, that the abs one would delaminate long before the pla one broke :-)

I print PLA at 198C.

Maybe Temps are off, though I have measured with an external Multi-meter temperature probe an Printer matched Multi-meter.

Have printed a ABS temp tower looked best at 228 though will print another ABS Temp Tower.

On my printers, which are fairly accurate on temps, I get ~250C on 3rd party ABS. And I get away with having no heated bed (thermal chamber on one; exposed to ambient on the others).

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    On my printers, which are fairly accurate on temps, I get ~250C on 3rd party ABS. And I get away with having no heated bed (thermal chamber on one; exposed to ambient on the others).
    Exactly!

This is what I am saying I can not tell you why it prints so well with a Nozzle temp of 228C an the Hotbed temp of 96C.
    Other than it is working inside an enclosure the heat inside merely surrounds the parts an everything just works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    228 would seem alittle cool for abs.

betcha if you printed the same thing in pla at 210 and then tried to bend them both, that the abs one would delaminate long before the pla one broke :-)
    What temperature would you print ABS.