Close

Giving up Ender 3

Im about to throw my printer out of the window.
    Ive googled so many things and watched youtube videos also i posted my issue in a FB group and still my problem isnt solved.

Few days ago I bought my ender 3 (wish i never did) With help from a youtube video I managed to put it all together much easier that that piece of paper that came with it.
    Bed levelling I tried to do this with different kind of video's but it seems like Im not getting it levelled.

I never get all 4 the corners right, and if I get them close to right. then the noozle will be stuck in the middle and I cant seem to lower this.
    I cant get any prints done successful obviously cause my bed isn't levelled.

I replaced the plate that came with it with a glass bed.
    One time during a print the 4 black wheels under the bed came loose. I hope somebody can give me some advice. or help cause I don't know what to do.

Since this issue is going on for days and every day im working on it. I'm seriously thinking about investing money in a plug n play machine, with automatic bed levelling . open to anything.
    Last edited by marcussawx; 06-03-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    unfortunately the ender 3 is the worst, most problematical machine currently on the market.

I have no idea why they are still being recommended and bought.
    I'm doing my best to dissuade people.

So yeah, basically anything else should be better.

If you could print anything I'd say replace the levelling nut wheels with locking nut wheels.
    You could probably do that anyway, just be a bit tricky to turn them - but at least once it was level, you could make some wheels they fitted into.

So that's my best suggestion. replace the levelling nuts with locking nuts and see how that goes.

The sad thing is that for another $100, there are some really nice machines out there.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    unfortunately the ender 3 is the worst, most problematical machine currently on the market.

I have no idea why they are still being recommended and bought.
    I'm doing my best to dissuade people.

So yeah, basically anything else should be better.

If you could print anything I'd say replace the levelling nut wheels with locking nut wheels.
    You could probably do that anyway, just be a bit tricky to turn them - but at least once it was level, you could make some wheels they fitted into.

So that's my best suggestion. replace the levelling nuts with locking nuts and see how that goes.

The sad thing is that for another $100, there are some really nice machines out there.
    I wish i would have seen this forum sooner. At the website i was on and youtube videos they were all loving about ender 3. Thats the reason i bought it.

I can try your idea but if you have any good recommendations for another printer i would love to hear them.
    Thank you!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    to a certain extent it boils down to what you want to make.
    Sure a large build volume can be useful.

But I've managed for 6 years with the largest printer I have a 200mm delta. which gives you a maximum cube of 150mm.

That said the largest thing I've made is a full size horned viking helmet - which i made in 4 pieces.
    But on the whole pretty much everything I've mde has fitted on my replicator pro's.

My newest machine - the ctc (cheapest printer you can get in the uk) will do 190x190x180. And after some basic modifications that's a cracking little machine.
    But you do need to make the mods before using, so no good for a first machine.

what you need to look for in an I3 design are 3 things.

1) a direct drive extruder - NOT a bowden fed one.
    2) Side support rails for the print bed - NOT a single central rail.
    3) dual z-screw stepper motors. The larger the x axis, the more important this is.

Now, surprisingly my dirt cheap (many parts are just fixed together with cable ties) has all three. The main reason i decided to give it a try.
    The ender 3 has NONE of them.

Pretty much everything else can be modded and improved fairly easily - but those three should be present on a good I3.

So that said - it boils down to budget.

I own a fair selection of machines from around $1000 (klic-n-print, when i got it) value on down to the ctc at 89 pounds, via the $200 he3d delta k200, and the monoprice mini delta at $149.
    My first printer was a flashforge creator - 500 pounds or so about 6 years ago. It did take me a while and the eventual installation of a sheet of printbite before it really came into it's own. But it was a solid workhorse with a few thousand hours on it before it finally ground to a halt. I think it needs a new stepper driver, but as I have limited deskspace and 4 other machines all currently in workig order, it's presently on a shelf awaiting my inclination to fix it.

So what sort of build volume are you after and what's your max budget ?

Thnx for your reply.

I have bought some m4 Nuts today and replaced the black wheels, and it feels way better this way. Although I already have been put hours into it.

I actually made a print but it was all squeezed together , but it did had the form. Which hasn't been my luck all before.

Maybe Since im a newby into 3d printing. I shouldn't be starting with a big building plate but just small, and preferably a plug n play as I dont want to be involved in all the setting up again and manual levelling the print plate.

My budget preferably would be under the 1000 dollar.
    and automatic levelling would be a big big plus

Quote Originally Posted by marcussawx View Post
    Thnx for your reply.

I have bought some m4 Nuts today and replaced the black wheels, and it feels way better this way. Although I already have been put hours into it.

I actually made a print but it was all squeezed together , but it did had the form. Which hasn't been my luck all before.

Maybe Since im a newby into 3d printing. I shouldn't be starting with a big building plate but just small, and preferably a plug n play as I dont want to be involved in all the setting up again and manual levelling the print plate.

My budget preferably would be under the 1000 dollar.
    and automatic levelling would be a big big plus
    Don't give up on your Ender 3
    I just Bought an ender 3 and its my first printer, and with a little help from a friend to get me set up it is an AMAZING machine for the money.
    If you dont wanna give up on it i will work with you to get this thing set up and printing good.