Hi, I'm looking to buy my first 3D printer. I'm a bit stuck...

I'd like to start with components and organisers for my tabletop games, then move onto household objects, like vases, light shades, and practical items, and then onto gifts for friends and family. I think I'd best go with a large print volume to keep my options open.

1. It would be nice to print in a variety of materials, but this could be with upgrades rather than out of the box, so I can continue to explore the hobby.
2. Laser engraving would also be cool as a thing to do some time in the future. I suspect that if I want to CNC, I should buy a different machine vs the Snapmaker 2 or other all in ones.
3. Silence would be ideal. I appreciate a lot of cheaper printers can be noisy. Happy to upgrade components to change that, I just don't want to spend so much money on upgrades that I may as well have bought a better printer in the first place. I live in a flat, and my girlfriend sometimes suffers from noise sensitivity. Could also print/build an enclosure?
4. WiFi would be nice. I think I can do this via a Raspberry Pi for the cheaper printers. Will probably get a camera of some kind for it anyway.
5. Auto-levelling would be helpful (I think)
6. I'm not sure quite what Direct Drive is, but it sounds like it improves reliability, so would be nice, even if it's a potential upgrade instead of out of the box

So far:

* I think the CR-10S, with subsequent modifications to reduce noise, is my best bet, for print volume, community size and cost. I can get a customer returned unit for ?250 from Hictop, and they'll send any replacement parts I need, if any. Is that worth the effort? Otherwise, about ?300 new.
* I've also just spotted the CR-10S Pro, but it's about ?500. Might be worth it if that's what modifying the CR-10S would cost me.
* I'm not sure how the CR-X and CR-10S Pro differ from each other, but I could get the CR-X for ?415.
* I haven't seen much about the Steadytech Pro X, but it also looks pretty good at ?329
* The Wanhao Duplicator 9 MK2 looks very sturdy. It's ?399
* The new TEVO Nereus looks like a lot of printer for the money at around ?300, via AliExpress but shipping from within the EU
* The Artillery Sidewinder X1 also fits the price range

Thanks for your much needed advice!