I'm looking for advice about a small project. I'm a beginner to 3D printing and I've only printed artistic pieces and never functional pieces. The hinge on my Nintendo DS has become inoperable and it would cost more to repair it than to buy a new one. Ordinarily, the hinge on a DS will stop when you open it up to the ideal angle (about 165 degrees) but will also allow you to snap it all the way open to 180 degrees. But my hinge doesn't stop at all, so gravity is always trying to open it too far or just shut it while I'm playing. To help you understand the problem I'm trying to solve, here's a picture of the temporary solution I've come up with:

Taped DS.jpg

What I want to do is to design something in Blender that I can print out of PLA to clip onto the sides and stabilize it like that. I've drawn a mockup in green here:

DS Clip.jpg

Since I don't have any experience, I'd like to ask for some advice before I get started. Is this a good idea to begin with? Is there an easy way to do this that I may not be aware of? Are there any pitfalls I should avoid?

Thanks in advance