Close

Student

Correlation between nozzle diameter and layer height

Hi guys, is there a correlation between nozzle diameter and layer height?i have mounted a nozzle 0.8, what height should i insert?thank you for reply

Staff Engineer
    There is indeed a correlation between nozzle diameter and layer height. It is common practice to use any layer thickness between a minimum, sometimes as small as 0.050 mm but no larger than three-quarters of your nozzle diameter. Some machines cannot perform at 0.050 mm layer height and for those 0.100 mm is more practical. The reason one uses a large (0.80) nozzle is to increase speed of printing. You would not want to use a large nozzle for 0.100 mm layer height. For your nozzle, you can print comfortably up to 0.600 layer thickness, perhaps slightly more, with a bit of a risk beyond 0.600 mm layer.

Student
    So can i print at 0.5 mm??

Staff Engineer
    That falls within the 0.100 mm to 0.600 mm range, so yes, it's a good number for your nozzle size.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    however - what you need to bear in mind is that the larger the bead you print with, the greater the need to cool it as quickly as possible.

A large bead will slump under it's own weight and take more time to cool and solidify than a smaller bead.
    So, depending on your printhead setup - you might need to up the cooling power, or at least concentrate it.

Otherwise, you could end up printing slowly and not actually gaining any build time over a smaller nozzle you can print faster with.

I have printed a 0.4mm layer with a 0.4mm nozzle. Simplify3d complains about it, but it works fine.
    I regularly print at 0.4 with a 0.5mm nozzle.
    So arguably, with a 0.8 nozzle and sufficient cooling you could go up to a 0.7mm layer height.

Also don't forget that you're pushing more plastic through faster so will most likely need to up the hot end temperature as well.

It's all about material flow, slump and set :-)