Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mpcnc

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse

Mpcnc

I have decided to build the V1 Engineering Piper.
    Starting with a 36" square Wood base, to make room for a 34.4 inch X 34.4 inch Piper frame allowing for a print area of 4 cubic ft.

Largest 3D Print in ABS looks promising, with ABS shrinkage the ID for the Feet is 23.37 the conduit measurement is 23.5.
    This means that very little finish work will need to be done in order to assemble the Piper 3D Printer.

I setup the Printer nozzle to 228C with a bed temperature of 98C, first layer print speed 40 all remaining layers 76 percent.
    This calculates to 8.5mm^3 per secound.

Room temp 72.7
    Heated enclosure left side 32C
    Heated enclosure Right Side 28C
    Enclosure Vent Fans speed 70%

I have noted a distinctive difference between the SD card Print and the OctoLapse Print textures.

Time-lapse video

Noted: in the Photos above the model on right was printed with the SD Card While Model on the left within OctoPrint's Octolapse.
    You will note a distinct texture difference. Will print another model using same ABS filament with SD card to verify if smoothness returns.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    stick to the sd card :-)

So what sort of wattage motor, torque, rpm etc, can you run on this setup ?

I'm rapidly thinking I might be better off with a small cnc machine than a cheap laser engraver.
    Can't afford a decent laser engraver and I'm fed up buying led style lasers, none of which work reliably anyway.

So could maybe use the existing framework and fit a carriage for a dremel type rotary tool instead.
    Guess it would need a bltouch style sensor to automatically set the z axis. And and up and downy z axis thingy. But other than that and a cheap shop vacumn setup, she's probably good to go.

Damn wish i had a makerspace in the area - I need a couple of real anoracks to help me :-)

I will be learning all the information as fast as I can, an will be posting links to all my sources of information.
    Will try to keep everyone informed as to my processes.

The Bill of materials shows between two links for purchase

Nema 17 Stepper Motor Bipolar 2A 84oz.in
    Nema 17 Stepper Motor Bipola 1.5A 76oz.in

I think I will go with the 76Oz steppers. not much difference of torque will just operate a little slower.
    Was planing on some Aluminum an wood engravings and maybe some simple Printed Circuit Boards.
    May look a laser latter on but have not set in mind what.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 03-03-2020 at 07:56 AM.

you're not using a stepper for the actual milling motor ?

No! should I use one, I was thinking of something like this.

I will have a Dewalt Dw660 - Spiral Saw, 30,000 No Load RPM, 5.0 Amps @ 120V, Tool Length 10"

lol glad about that :-)

Well stepper motorwise, you know what they say: nobody ever complained of too much power :-)
    get the bigger ones :-)

Today started to Assemble the MPCNC, I do not believe any of the measurements of the Hardware match the hardware purchased.
    Will have to take the parts assembly to the Hardware store then match what is needed.

The measurements are wrong or the Store has all hardware in the wrong parts bins, or they measure the bolts differently somehow.

Bolts.jpg

you using abs ?
    it will shrink so sizes are usually wrong enough to make a difference.
    One of the many reasons I gave up abs.

Failing that - are you using mm or inches for sizing your bolts ?
    Even so called 'equivalences' rarely match up.

One of those videos you linked to had a chap print all his bits, then go buy and cut the conduit, only to discover it was too large.
    Me I'd have printed one part, taken it to the hardware store and checked it agaisnt the existing conduit before either printing the rest of the parts or buying the conduit or cutting it.

When I design parts I usually print cut down test pieces to make sure everything will fit when i print the full parts.

I think over time you just develop better working habits based on previous cock-ups :-)

After Printing the MPCNC Model Parts they were measured an have a error rate of within 1/2 percent, this means that all printed models are correctly printed.
    What surprised me was that none of the models that actually Stayed stuck to the build plate showed signs of warping.
    Only a few had problems though these problems were not to adhesion they attributed to the Proximity sensor vibrating loose ...
    This in turn changed the Z-Height causing the adhesion problem.

Had the most problems at the hardware store not correctly correctly placing the parts in the correct bins.
    Will need to be more careful and measure when returning for replacements.

good luck - fascinated to see this thing working. :-)

first layer print speed 40 all remaining layers 76 percent.
    what does that actually mean as far as print speed goes - 76 percent of what ?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast