Close

Quadriplegic interested in designing own reacher tool.

Total noob here and quadriplegic. Can someone please point me into the right direction. I would like to design and print my own reacher tool so I can grasp things because my hands don't work. I'm able to use my shoulders and biceps but no triceps or forearm or hand abilities.
    I actually have one that I bought for an example but I would like to make improvements to it. Plus they are $200 a piece so it would be nice to be able to fabricate my own and give away some to people who are also in wheelchairs.
    My budget would be around $600-$800. Of course it's probably out of my reach but would love to make one out of carbon fiber. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    carbon fibre would be more of a traditional manufacturing route.

But ninjateks armadillo is almost as strong and light and much easier to print.

Got a picture of the reacher you have now ?
    That would help us work out the right printer for you.

I presume the budget is for the printer ?

With projects like that I generally end up using a variety of materials - some scavenged some printed. There's no point printing the long shaft, so look around for something cheap to use that you can attach printed parts to - or whoever's helping you can :-)
    I find that budget/pound/buck stores are great places to find inspiration, also hardware stores and garden centres.