Close

Supports breaking off mid-print

Hello. I've recently come to possess a FlashForge Creator Pro and I'm teaching myself how to use it.
    I've had a few successful test-prints, but now I'm running into a new issue. Lately, on all my prints, the supports are breaking off midway through the print.
    I've been using the tree-like auto supports in FlashPrint, using the pre-sets for both ABS and PLA. I've tried fresh nozzles, leveling the build plate, and trying to fine tune the heat/speed settings. I also tried making the supports a but thicker, thinking that would make them sturdier. I actually just installed a new slicer, and I'm going to try printing from that in case there's just some weirdness with FlashPrint but I figured I'd jump on here and try to get in front of the issue.

Sorry if this is simple new-guy stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff Engineer
    As part of my attempt to assist another Flashforge user, I discovered that the Advanced Settings has an option to drop the bed when using treelike supports, to prevent the trees from getting broken limbs when the head moves over or to that part of the bed. Perhaps this is an option to try.

Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
    As part of my attempt to assist another Flashforge user, I discovered that the Advanced Settings has an option to drop the bed when using treelike supports, to prevent the trees from getting broken limbs when the head moves over or to that part of the bed. Perhaps this is an option to try.
    Yeah I've been looking at the advanced print settings but they're pretty information-dense. I'll have to give it a try on my next print.

I know nothing of your slicer or printer, but is there some reason you don't just flip the model to lay flat on the bed and then there is no need for support?

Quote Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
    I know nothing of your slicer or printer, but is there some reason you don't just flip the model to lay flat on the bed and then there is no need for support?
    For this particular print, no. That's just the print I had on hand to take a photo of. But I figure eventually I'm going to have to print something that's going to need supports so I'm just trying to nip this one in the bud

Staff Engineer
    Another option that you have, once you've located the "drop bed treelike supports" option would be to use Meshmixer's support feature to create supports that are perhaps less fragile or less dense or more dense to meet your requirements. Your slicer software will consider the Meshmixer supported model to be just another input and won't try to add its own supports.

I found the above image at http://www.flashforge.com/flashprint/ which may be of use.