Close

What filament should I use for my new project?

Hello! I wanted to start a new project, that being to design a bookcase. I was wondering what filament would be best for this type of project. Books weigh a ton and will defientely need something that is very strong. I can print using a wide variety of filament. I saw on the internet that HIPS is surprisingly good, any thoughts on using that for this? Please let me know your reccomendation and if you have any questions let me know, thanks!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    hips is exactly what you don't need :-)

How big is your printer ?
    and how large a bookcase are you lanning on making ?

Me I'd use wood or metal and for the shelves and print the fixing brackets :-)

I do feel like this is a bot posting.. but ..
    Oak, Poplar, Walnut, Birch .. I don't like soft woods so no Pine.. Metal is also a good medium for shelving.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you think he's from the 'nobody uses hips much, so lets promote it for bookcases' lobby group ?

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    hips is exactly what you don't need :-)

How big is your printer ?
    and how large a bookcase are you lanning on making ?

Me I'd use wood or metal and for the shelves and print the fixing brackets :-)

Thanks for the reply! My print bed is 8x8x7. I would like to try and get around 10-20 books in the bookcase.

?I do feel like this is a bot posting.. but ..
    Oak, Poplar, Walnut, Birch .. I don't like soft woods so no Pine.. Metal is also a good medium for shelving.? -airscapes

Not a bot, just inexperienced with the different filaments haha. Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNoodleWarrior View Post
    Thanks for the reply! My print bed is 8x8x7. I would like to try and get around 10-20 books in the bookcase.
    Your print bed is 8 feet long?? or 8 inches long? Google 3D printing Filament type and usage..