Close

First time builder looking for model input

Hello everyone,

I am a very hands on DIY guy. I have good experience in auto mechanics, welding, carpentry, upholstering, electronics etc.
    I want to build a reprap machine partly for the fun of the project and partly because I want a 3d printer.
    I am not sure exactly what I want to print yet, so I want to have a fairly large printing surface. I was on the reprap site, and I see a lot of different options/models. Is there one that stands out above the rest, or are some of them obsolete/dated that I should stay away from? The last thing I would want is to go through the process of building a printer only for it to be old and outdated with a better, cheaper/similar priced alternative available.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by david77 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am a very hands on DIY guy. I have good experience in auto mechanics, welding, carpentry, upholstering, electronics etc.
    I want to build a reprap machine partly for the fun of the project and partly because I want a 3d printer.
    I am not sure exactly what I want to print yet, so I want to have a fairly large printing surface. I was on the reprap site, and I see a lot of different options/models. Is there one that stands out above the rest, or are some of them obsolete/dated that I should stay away from? The last thing I would want is to go through the process of building a printer only for it to be old and outdated with a better, cheaper/similar priced alternative available.

Thanks for your help!
    I am also useful by this discussion