Close

Banned

3D Printed Weapons (Not Guns)

So, there has been a lot of talk about the various 3D printed guns we have seen making their way onto download sites around the globe. There has not been much talk about other weapons, which not only could be dangerous, but also hidden away from authority because they are made with plastics. Here are just a few of such weapons. I am not taking either side on this, just showing what can be done. It's really going to be hard to stop guns or other weapons from being printed in the long run.

The 3D Printed Shoe, with an extra pointy heel:

3D printed deadly nails (Well maybe not deadly, but these could do some damage for certain.)

3D Printed knives:

I would think sooner or later laws will be brought in for 3dprinted knives and objects such as these above. Also file repositorys might even be liable for hosting the files and providing access to the models. Very difficult to regulate.

Staff Engineer
    The Artisan knives aren't sharp enough to cut paper, let alone skin. Plastic knuckle dusters are less effective than a roll of pennies for adding to a punch. And press-on plastic nails? Come on.

If you ban these sharp sticks are sure to be next (and holding gardeners liable for the sticks hosted by their gardens and providing access to them, very difficult to regulate). It all reminds me of the business man in The Lorax trying to sell the dangers and hazards of trees to get people to kill the last remaining tree (what a ham-fisted message in that movie, but still the example still fits).

Just because it can be used for malicious purpose doesn't necessarily mean we should outlaw it.

You can kill someone with a hammer, that doesn't mean we should ban hammers.