Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Best 3D printer for action figures manufacture

Hello printer owners,

I'm relatively fresh in 3D printing subject and i'd like to use some help from experienced makers.

I think about getting in business as figurine sculpter/painter, with 3D printer it would be a lot easier for me to start something bigger.

My plans are focused on making detailed parts, such as good looking small and medium sized toys, figurines.

I know a thing or two already about printers, but i can't decide which will be the best - there are like thousands of new and upcoming 3D printers today

Also i'm quite low on budget too, as working only by myself it can't be something like an industry, either not hobbyist work - it have to be just a perfect job for one person to handle with a lot of free time.

So here i need some advices of yours about good precise printers (still don't know what's going on with this resin thing)

Thanks for help in advance

I think no matter what you buy for an FDM or FFM you're going to have a lot of postprocessing time sanding acetone vapor clear lacquer spraying and then painting and spraying clear again. Even if you bought a professional machine in you want to produce good-looking parts you'd have to do the same. Unless you got it into some of the SLA resin printers on the pro-poly jet which is sprayed resins

Staff Engineer
    CNC answered it pretty well, either FFF with postprocessing or pay more for an SLA (to my knowledge, there's no budget-level PolyJet option).

For very small miniatures, I'd definitely say go the SLA route. In which case your options are a Form1 if you can afford it, or wait for one of the plethora of cheaper options which aren't likely to ship before the end of this year.

I would guess you could get a SLA printer as FDM will not work that well on action figures,

Its okay for a hobbyist but if you wanna get a higher quality go for SLA, I guess something like Form 1 or Titan, even tho we don't know that much about titan yet, it would give you a idea what area you should look at.

Edit: Damn feign just posted a min before me and kinda the same thing xD

Thanks for helpful answers guys!

Waiting for more info to read

Technologist
    SLA printer can produce good detail figures you might be looking for,
    Or you can look into a 3d system projet printer that produce colors prints like ours.

Technician
    cokreeate, what type of printer (name thanks!) do you use that produce color prints?

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by oklok View Post
    cokreeate, what type of printer (name thanks!) do you use that produce color prints?

We are using the zcorp printers now know as 3d system projet printers.

Technician
    Oh I see, seems like the reseller have closed down;

"As the market is flooded with resellers, we have decided that it no longer makes commercial sense for us to support sales of new ZCorp 3D printers in the UK."

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by oklok View Post
    Oh I see, seems like the reseller have closed down;

"As the market is flooded with resellers, we have decided that it no longer makes commercial sense for us to support sales of new ZCorp 3D printers in the UK."
    try 3dsystem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast