Close

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook

Anybody Here Good With The Linux ?

So i have a pi. Or a few pi's. A few years back i bought 12 or more pi's and set them up with retro pi and controllers and gave them out as Christmas gifts. So i am not dumb to what a pi is or how to use it. I just rely heavily on youtube tutorials because i am a mechanic and not a programmer. I now am playing with octoprint and have sucessfully installed it on a pi with 5v relay for printer power control and a 8mp pi camera. I have all of these things up and working nicely. I just want to install this 3.5" touchscreen I got from ebay. This touch screen right here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-5-HDM...53.m2749.l2649

And to install it I am following this awesome tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqy3dVZ4JH4

The tutorial shows typing in a command to make the pi go to a website and download a driver. The ebay ad does not come with the same style link for me to copy and paste. I can goto a website on my pc and download the link and have it in a zipped file But I am at a complete loss for how to get this touchscreen to work with my pi. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

have you looked at the octprint website.. I can't help, I took the easy way out and used a monitor keyboard and mouse with the pi 3B+

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    ebay ad has commands that can be copied and pasted.
    But don't understand what it says about the actual driver - it's those chinese to albanian to swiss to english translations ;-)
    set a pi up recently with puty - worked pretty well.

The odd thing is that it says it uses the hdmi connection. So why does it need a driver ?
    Touch screen driver ! got ya.

He gets the driver from github. just pause the video and type in the same commands he does.

Old school - actual typing stuff in rather than just copy and paste. It's all there :-)

typing a how-to rather than a video.. what an ancient but much more effective manner of communication technical data.. :-)

If you have the file, the instructions are on the ebay page.

As much as I like the SPI screens, because it looks like a tidier install... I prefere HDMI or MIPI screen interfaces because they're designed specifically for video, and you're not relying on software tweaks to make it work.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    It is hdmi. It connects with hdmi. But it is a super vertical screen and it displays in portrait not landscape. or sideways. And I still haven't gotten the touch to work. But it is ok. I will buy a slightly higher quality part.