Close

Printing with polypropylene

I've been printing with polypropylene and haven't had much trouble. I just want to know if there is any post processing that can be done on FDM polypropylene prints. Sanding didn't work well and I know its pretty solvent resistant. I need to be able to smooth and paint it. Any tips?

Not sure what you are seeing after sanding, but you could try a flameless heat source to try to smooth over the sanding fuzzies created by sanding. I use a butane soldering torch with the tip removed to clean up the white specks that ABS leaves behind when removing supports.

I should add this... as you reminded me to order a backup torch. I appreciate that!

The model I use is Mag-Torch MT 765 Micro Butane Torch Kit.
    I purchased the original from ACE H/W. The self ignition fails as does some of the plastic due to heat deformation. However, I start mine with a simple butane lighter by heating the ceramic core (catalizer?). This ceramic grid core may be unique to fewer units than you will see in soldering iron offerings. I just cannot say. However, eBay seems to be repleat with these for under $20. There is also a model ...775... that has a few extra accessories.

You've been warned about overall quality, but if you use these with an external ignition source, they work wonders on 3D prints as well as surface mount circuit components.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 04-11-2019 at 05:57 PM.

What did you sand it with.. when sanding soft surfaces I use wet sand starting with 360 and if painting should not need to go any finer.