Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heating issue

heating issue

I did a search but could not find much to help me on this. I had a power supply burn out due to a faulty fan. I replaced it with a mean well nes 350 12. After i replaced the power supply the bed and hotend became very slow to heat up. This was not an issue prior to the change. Once the hot end hits 140 degrees with a target of 200 and the bed hits about 48 with a target of 60 degrees I get an E1 heating failed error. I have checked the voltage on the power supply and currently have it tuned to 13 volts. I saw somewhere that it could be due to a thermal runaway protection setting in marlin but I am not sure what to look for. Does anyone have any ideas? I have my config.h posted so any help would be amazing. Thank you for your time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

So after some fiddeling I have been able to get the heat bed up to temp but the hot end will only reach 145 degrees and than the system goes in to the E1 error. I have checked all the connections and the wires look good. I checked the resistance on the line and this to looked good. The only other thing I can think of is the thermal runaway protection being set a bit to aggressive. Before I go playing with safety features however I wanted to check if this sounds right. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Measure the output of the power supply with a VOM. If it is no longer regulating to its intended voltage, you are drawing more power than it will provide.
    If the power supply remains in regulation, meaning it maintains the appropriate output voltage with everything cranked up, you have a different problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Measure the output of the power supply with a VOM. If it is no longer regulating to its intended voltage, you are drawing more power than it will provide.
    If the power supply remains in regulation, meaning it maintains the appropriate output voltage with everything cranked up, you have a different problem.
    Thank you for the response TommyDee. I did check it both with the bed heated to temp and the hot end heating up and with just the hot end heating up. It maintained a stable voltage. It is currently set to 13 volts. I also checked it under multiple different situations trying to see if anything changed but nothing.
    Last edited by cripto101; 04-10-2019 at 03:49 PM.

Sorry, I missed that in your original post
    The E1 error probably pops up because it simply didn't reach that temperature. that would be firmware.
    So there may be a setting that overwrites this. I can't read the provided files.
    So you may have one thing telling the system to not overshoot and another still waiting to reach temp.

You didn't happen to replace a 24v supply with a 12v supply did you? Have to ask
    I am not sure where else to look considering each will work on their own.

I start thinking on the lines of broken strands in current carrying DC power wires where you have a very specific localized high impedance zone.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Sorry, I missed that in your original post
    The E1 error probably pops up because it simply didn't reach that temperature. that would be firmware.
    So there may be a setting that overwrites this. I can't read the provided files.
    So you may have one thing telling the system to not overshoot and another still waiting to reach temp.

You didn't happen to replace a 24v supply with a 12v supply did you? Have to ask
    I am not sure where else to look considering each will work on their own.

I start thinking on the lines of broken strands in current carrying DC power wires where you have a very specific localized high impedance zone.
    You know what it could be that the original was 24 volt and i put in a 12 volt. That sounds like it could be the problem. Will I need to send it back and get a 24 volt?

Last edited by cripto101; 04-10-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Make sure to understand what the original equipment was. Going from 24 to 12 isn't so bad, but the reverse could be an issue.

And i am not a fan of Amazon for comparing specifications. They are normally very misleading or incomplete... or all out for the wrong product.

Go to MeanWell, pick out a few candidates, and THEN see which one is readily available at the best pricepoint. I always weigh Amazon against eBay in the end.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 04-10-2019 at 06:52 PM.

Thank you so much Tommy Dee. I will do that. Once I get it in I will let you know if that was the issue.

Haza!!! It lives. The printer is working really well now. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast