Close

Flashforge Finder - how thin can you print?

New to the forum. I'm a 6th grade school teacher and along with a colleague we have an amazing 3D print program for our students. My question, if anyone knows, how thin of a vertical wall can you print?

Thank you.

1mm Well, I should say, depends! SLA printers, quite thin... FDM printers, approximately 1mm. Typically you can count on 2 walls... you can crowd the the slicer to try to get a little less. On my printers, I can design to 0.9mm and when I move it to another printer, it places voids there. That means even if I tell the printer 0.9mm, it actually comes out to 1mm or so.

targeted test prints are great for characterizing particular printers.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post

targeted test prints are great for characterizing particular printers.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm going to do some test prints on the Finder and use my caliper to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Moab Man View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm going to do some test prints on the Finder and use my caliper to see.
    Did a print test: 1mm, 0.5mm, 0.4mm, 0.3mm, and 0.2mm. The Flashforge Finder will print as thin as 0.4mm. Any smaller of a specification still prints at 0.4mm.

Nice! That is two traces side by side or a single trace to get 0.4mm?

I see the nozzle aperture is 0.4mm on this machine.
    What layer thickness did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Nice! That is two traces side by side or a single trace to get 0.4mm?

I see the nozzle aperture is 0.4mm on this machine.
    What layer thickness did you use?
    It was a single trace. I had to first make a bed. Trying to print directly on the bed wouldn't take below 0.5 with any consistency. Not sure what the layer thickness was. It was the default for Flashprint slicer. Printer is running at the moment. When it's done I will take a look at what the default settings were.

Okay, that makes more sense. I'd love an FDM printer that can print a 0.4 wall in two traces since that is what my slicers will do. The only single wall elements are supports. Maybe I need to explore my slicer a bit further
    I've actually has call for one on a professional level where a SLA wouldn't work for the environment of the print.
    I have a 0.35mm nozzle in one printer and although that means it should be able to do a 0.7mm wall, it doesn't slice 0.7mm walls !
    Reliably I can print 0.9-1.0mm walls with 2 traces side by side, which isn't bad.
    If the FlashForce slicer can create single wall features, I'm going to have to explore that. I've looked at it briefly. The g-code is not directly transferable to mine but I might have to see what it does anyway.