Close

Issue printing small chair prototype

Hi,

My first post here and I'm pretty new to 3D printing so hopefully my question is asked properly Basically, I tried to print a miniature version of a chair that is intended to print life-size and the guy in the print shop said that it won't print properly because there isn't enough support for it. Also, it is too thin for printing; the chair in life-size dimensions is supposed to be hollow aluminum with a thickness of 2mm. So when it was scaled down to about 2 inches width (should fit in the palm of one's hand) it was just way too thin to print. This was done in Fusion 360.

Essentially, I am just trying to print this chair while being hollow and with internal ribs.

Here is a screenshot of the chair:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    got an stl ?
    impossible to tell from a picture of a scaled up version.
    I need to run it through a slicer first.

It needs supports for the seat area, but the slicer will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    got an stl ? impossible to tell from a picture of a scaled up version. I need to run it through a slicer first. It needs supports for the seat area, but the slicer will do that.
    Hi thanks for responding...I tried to attach the stl last night but for some reason it kept failing. I've attached it now.
    Attached Files Attached Files

This models is not rally suitable for printing as it is. Cou can tell the slicer to generate support and it will put support inside all the hollow areas but there is only one outer layer and I can not tell how thick it is. May be too thin to print. you need to get the 3d model and change the tubular part to solid ..

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yes, if you make the legs solid, then the slicer can adjust thicknss of the 'skin' and if you have 0% infill, then the legs will be hollow.
    Slicers are very clever fellows :-)