Printing a storage tray from Thingiverse thing:2957317

0.4mm nozzle
    0.12mm layer height
    20mm infill
    200C print temp
    60C bed temp
    50mm print speed
    10mm retraction at 25mm/s

Bed adhesion is very good and first layer is also very nice and clean. Although after the base to where the walls of the storage tray start, there is some odd markings too, like skipped steps as well?
    However, at around layer 270-ish there is a weird issue where there appears to be skipped layers. To the extent that they are not joined in some places at all. The rest of the print seems good except for around that layer/level.

I'm wondering if this is a classic e-step calibration issue? If so, why were the first 269 layers ok?

split.jpg

Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Hunt

Looking at the split on the right, it looks like the slicer just said there should not be any wall.
    I just had this happened with some new slicer software. It turned out that the software doesn't think that is thick enough so it makes it an open.
    There was an option in the slicing settings that expressed "fine detail" and the problem went away.
    Different printer and slicer but very similar results.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Looking at the split on the right, it looks like the slicer just said there should not be any wall.
    I just had this happened with some new slicer software. It turned out that the software doesn't think that is thick enough so it makes it an open.
    There was an option in the slicing settings that expressed "fine detail" and the problem went away.
    Different printer and slicer but very similar results.
    Thanks for that.
    Yeah it's so strange. When I run the GCODE in the slicer (Cura 4.0.0) and play through each layer it looks like it prints as per normal during those layers. There's no difference between the layers below and above it, it's a storage tray with even walls all the way up - just a couple of locating lugs just below the 'missed layer'.
    I tried again last night after calibrating and adjusting my ESTEPS as well as my X axis gantry was not parallel. I didn't have time to do a test last night but will try tonight.
    I have 'print thin walls' turned on.
    I'm not sure if Cura isn't working for me or if it's my printer or settings or a mix of the lot. But I think I've got the latter dialed in so might try another slicer. Any suggestions on a free one? Thinking I might try Slic3r.

Cheers
    Hunt

If your slicer preview doesn't show a break it shouldn't be there. F/W shouldn't make this change either. You got a head scratcher there