Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Support Touching Buildplate not printing fully

I have a Cocoon Create/ Duplicator i3 v2 printer and can not get the Support touching buildplate to work with out breaking up all the time with PLA+. I just used PLA and it worked all right but PLA+ comes out bad as per the photos.

I just changed the Fill Amount from 15% to 30% but it works slightly better. I have tried Bed temperatures from 40 degrees to 70 degrees and the print head from 190 to 230 and still bad Support.

It starts to print good but after a few rows the print is all broken up in the Support only. I just changed the Fill amount from 15% to 30% and is was good enough to print the item but the Support was not too good.

Can I make the thickness of the Support thicker in the Cocoon Create program as that would work as the items print good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Firepower; 03-21-2019 at 12:11 AM.

I can not attach this photo to the previous post. This is what it turns out like with Support all broken.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    check print speed isn't higher for the support.
    I know infill speed is usually higher than print speed - so maybe it's the same with supports.

Yes. You are correct the Support prints way too fast.

I'll keep looking on the attached photo to see if I can find out how to slow it down.

Can you see any suggestions where I would slow it down on the attached photo. Maybe it is the Infill Speed and there is no separate speed for Supports.

Thanks. Much appreciated for your comment. I may be able to print well almost properly after all these years.

EDIT: I reduced the infill speed but it did not slow down the printing of the Support.

I just lowered Travel Speed and Inner Shell Speed and that did not slow down the Support.

I am using an old Cura. Looks I need to use the new Cura.
    Last edited by Firepower; 03-21-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    In Cura Select Preferences Click
    In Preferences select Settings Click

Type Speed in the Dialog box

Image2.jpg

Put A check in Support Speed boxes that apply, This will allow you to view and change these settings.

If they do not appear Then upgrade to Cura 4.0.0
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 03-21-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Roberts_Clif - Thanks for the reply.

My version of Cura does not have speed settings for Supports. Thanks for the link.

I have wasted a lot of time with the printer over the years but hopefully getting there now. Firstly I did not know to install my printer profile and never getting the Support to print right has been a problem. But recently putting on lock nuts on the bed has made a big improvement to getting the first layer right. The wing nuts that came with the machine were useless and moved all the time. etc etc

I should be right now after I work out how to get the first layer of PETG to stick properly. Guess it must be getting the bed perfect.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    pet-g needs to print slower than pla.
    anything much over 40mm/s and you'll struggle.
    Also needs to be a little hotter than pla.

buy simplify3d :-)

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    The first layer is your most important layer.

I believe you are retracting to far try 4.5mm with a Z-Hop of .075 reduce fan min to 40 and fan max to 60.

https://all3dp.com/2/3d-printing-wit...ow-to-succeed/

Roberts_Clif

Thanks for the good information. I got most of what you said and I think you mean the 4.5mm in Minimium Travel. I'll check out that link also.

I'll try those settings after the current print I am doing and let you know the difference.

EDIT: With slowing down the speed with PETG and your changes I can get a reasonable first layer which is an improvement on what I was getting.

But before I go any further I will load the latest Cura which will take a while for me to get going I guess.

Thanks
    Last edited by Firepower; 03-22-2019 at 10:22 PM.

curious aardvark

I slowed the speed to 40mm/s and looks like it is working now.

So many things to know about the 3D printing.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast