Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Small High Detail Relatively quiet printer

Hi,

New to Forum but have been looking into 3d printing over the last year or so.

I am looking to get my first 3d printer. Mostly I am looking to print miniatures, small terrain etc for warhammer, D&D etc.

I don't have a great deal of room and it will be printing in the room I normally work in most days so needs to be fairly quiet if possible. I have around a $700 budget but that can stretch for the right printer.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

POC

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Hmm, well a monoprice select mini would be agood place to start. https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Ass...gateway&sr=8-3

I'd suggest the monoprice mini delta with a 0.25 nozzle, but quiet it isn't :-)

For models you might go the resin route.
    BUT !
    resin can be messy and smelly, and ideally you'd want a dedicate desk just for the printer to avoid potential spills getting on other stuff.

As far as detail goes - any size printer with the right nozzle and setup will do detail. so it doesn't necessarily have to be tiny.

I guess also worth a look are the smaller ready built machines.
    monopricew voxel is a nice little machine, enclosed too. https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-135...gateway&sr=8-7
    nice bit of kit.
    and yes it is a flashforge adventurer with a monoprice badge :-)
    very useful as it means you can use the flashprint slicer. Along with simplify3d I'd say it's one of the best slicers out there. streets ahead of cura.

Has 6 inch cube build volume - larger than you think.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-12-2019 at 02:06 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    For printing minatures you'll want a resin printer, which have gotten really cheap.

To guard against spills just set the printer in a baking pan, and to deal with the smell vent it to an outside window.

many specific issues with resin machinjes, not least of which is the cost of the resins.
    Plus, you don't have to look far to see some amazing figures that have been printed on fdm machines. So resin isn't a neccessity.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for not being around, have been looking around and lurking.

Im not a fan or resin for the reasons given by Aardvark.

So one issue kinda is I am in the UK so some printers are import only. But monoprice is all good.

So my budget has changed ?1000 ($1200) Issue is physical size and Quiet. I have looked and quite fancy the Monoprice 150 with"Ultra Quiet" motors. The big delta they are releasing soon looks ace but far to large sadly.

Given the increase in budget any further recommendations?

The budget change makes a lot of difference :-)
    reviews for the 150 are not good.

latest qidi dual extruder: https://www.amazon.co.uk/QIDI-TECHNO...gateway&sr=8-6

You're not quite in the idex category - unfortunately, but the standard dual extruders can work well with a little care.
    And the latest replicator clones - are anything but clones.

Looking around - the qidi would be my first choice. If you can find any other printer with just 5 star reviews I'll be surprised :-)
    They not tiny, but should fit on most desks.
    My replicator pro clone is also my quietest machine.
    Mind you I love the noises my he3d k200 delta makes, kinda like r2d2. Always sounds happy in it's work :-)

whereabouts in the uk are you ?
    I'm near burton on trent - smack in the middle.

Don't have a qidi - but do have areplicator pro clone, couple of deltas and a real cheap i3 that's amost done being modded.
    You're welcome to pop over for a chat.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-25-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    The budget change makes a lot of difference :-)
    whereabouts in the uk are you ?
    I'm near burton on trent - smack in the middle.

Freaky only down the road, in Cannock, Staffordshire.

I figured the budget change would give me a few more options to play about with.
    The more I look the more I want.. same as anything... What would put me in the IDEX range do you think? I like the idea of PVA supports etc.

I am having a big sort out this weekend in my man-cave/office to make some room. should have space for something the size of a Husky Fridge so quite a big space.

the best budget idex is probably the formbot t-rex 2+
    huge build volume, lots of cool bits https://technologyoutlet.co.uk/produ...x-2-3d-printer
    technology outlet is in coalville, so you could probably get a wee discount if you picked it up and saved postage. I keep meaning to ask if I'd get the filament cheaper if I rocked up at th unit and picked it up :-)
    Had a chat to them at last years tct, seem like a decent bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    the best budget idex is probably the formbot t-rex 2+
    huge build volume, lots of cool bits https://technologyoutlet.co.uk/produ...x-2-3d-printer
    technology outlet is in coalville, so you could probably get a wee discount if you picked it up and saved postage. I keep meaning to ask if I'd get the filament cheaper if I rocked up at th unit and picked it up :-)
    Had a chat to them at last years tct, seem like a decent bunch.
    Cool but bit too pricey, maybe the next one

I would want an all enclosed printer in any case, stops the dust, cats and general crap getting in the way.

then we're back to the voxel and qidi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast