Close

prints get very stuck to bed, very difficult to remove

I just bought a Tevo Tornado (last 2018 version, glass bed, gold accents) and on my first attempt at printing nothing stuck to the bed (it just came out like a blob). I tried again and put glue on the bed this time (a trick I heard about on YouTube) and while the print successfully stayed on the bed it was extremely difficult to remove the print when printing was done. Using the scraper doesn't yield anything until I heat up the bed and while it does loosen the print and I'm eventually able to remove it, I mangle the edges and/or warp parts of the print. Any suggestions on better ways remove prints that are stuck to the glass bed (I've got a big batch printing now and I fear they're also going to be hard to remove)? Any suggestions on how to get prints to stick to the glass bed during printing, but prevent them from being hard to remove after printing?

Quote Originally Posted by crashintoty View Post
    I just bought a Tevo Tornado (last 2018 version, glass bed, gold accents) and on my first attempt at printing nothing stuck to the bed (it just came out like a blob). I tried again and put glue on the bed this time (a trick I heard about on YouTube) and while the print successfully stayed on the bed it was extremely difficult to remove the print when printing was done. Using the scraper doesn't yield anything until I heat up the bed and while it does loosen the print and I'm eventually able to remove it, I mangle the edges and/or warp parts of the print. Any suggestions on better ways remove prints that are stuck to the glass bed (I've got a big batch printing now and I fear they're also going to be hard to remove)? Any suggestions on how to get prints to stick to the glass bed during printing, but prevent them from being hard to remove after printing?
    Try some build tack... search on-line for 3d printer build tack.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    a sheet of PEI is cheaper than buildtak and much better.

Build tack works, but getting stuff off it can be tricky - never use it with polycarbonate - for example :-)

Personally I use printbite. Which may or may not be a form of PEI - depends who you ask. Jason (the seller) says it isn't, other people claim it is.
    All i can say is that stuff sticks to it when it's hot and comes totally unstuck when it cools down.
    PEI - a 200x200 sheet of which can be had off ebay for under v$10 - is supposed to work in a similiar way.

Also magigoo - a special glue/coating - claims it also works in the same way. And that can be easily applied directly to your glass plate.
    I haven't tried magigoo yet, but have tried dimafix - which works well, but does like to hang on to stuff.
    Magigoo claims it release when cold - so probably some solution of a pei type material. They're clever buggers these chemical engineers :-)

My work horse printers have had sheets of printbite for about 5 years (same sheet it doesn't wear out). And it does take an awful lot of the hassle out of printing.
    It's not magic you still have to get tyhe print settings right, but it's as close to magic as I've yet found.
    Given the cost, I'd be inclined to try the cheap PEI or magigoo first. I have a sheet of pei, just haven't got round to testing it yet.
    When I've finished modding my ctc i3 pro b - I'll be doing tests on that.
    Next job is to bolt the thing to a sheet of 5mm aluminium. The biggest flaw with it is that the base is not securely fixed to the gantry, move the printer and it goes out of calibration. Once I've got it bolted to a rigid sheet of aluminium - it won't do that anymore, and once calibrated with the locknuts I added - should stay calibrated almost indefinitely :-)

That currently has a sheet of some stuff (could be buildtak) I got from lankeda.com at the tct show.

Also when i find the big envelope the pei came in - currently unsure of it's whereabouts ;-)

There are a lot of options out there, most fairly inexpensive - so try a few and keep what works for you :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-14-2019 at 06:57 AM.

Yes, I picked up a PEI sheet and prints come off much much easier. Thanks!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    cool, quite why the printer manufacturers don't use better bed materials is a mystery.
    a thin sheet of PEI is very cheap.
    The trend of printers without heated beds seems, thankfully, to be dying out - so PEI is an ideal place to start and sell printers that are much easier to use.

That said creality seem to be selling boatloads of ender 3's and they just don't seem to work at all.
    Why people are still buying them is a mystery to me.