Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

3d printing at home setup

I posted this on another board but it's not getting any reads so I thought I would try here too.

I have been 3d printing for a few years now. I have a Davinci Pro 1.0 and an Anycubic Kossel linear plus, both are modified from stock. I like the E3D V6 hot ends.

I have been kind of toying with the idea of a third printer, but these first two have just totally taken over my home office. I have prints and parts mixed in with bills and receipts, it's getting ridiculous. I have been thinking about moving them to my garage, clearing out a spot and setting up a little 3d workstation. A mini farm. I have been weighing the pros and cons.
    What about all you guys? Where do you have your 3d printers set up? Especially if you have more than one, then you must have a dedicated spot, I want to hear from you.

pros and cons of moving to the garage

pro: I can print anytime I want. Right now my printers are in my home office which is just a converted bedroom, right next to our master bedroom where my wife is sleeping so I don't want to wake her up with a humming printer. So I can't print all night long or early morning when I am at my best.

con: the garage is not as climate controlled as the house. I live in So Cal so the temperatures are not that extreme anyway. And I have a portable heater and a portable a/c unit.

pro: the garage has a double wide roll up door - good for ventilation

con: the garage has a double wide roll up door - bad for security

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by sdtag View Post
    I have been thinking about moving them to my garage, clearing out a spot and setting up a little 3d workstation.

con: the garage is not as climate controlled as the house. I live in So Cal so the temperatures are not that extreme anyway. And I have a portable heater and a portable a/c unit.

I have Multiple 3D Printers i have them stationed as satellites so to speak.

My 3D Printers a controller by a Raspberry Pi running Octoprint which can be wired or wireless Ethernet.
    I control / monitor them from anywhere. using Plugins for Octoprint while viewing the print status via a Web Cam.

Octoprint allows the complete control over the 3DPrinter including an "EMERGENCY STOP BUTTON"

As far as a Garage that does not have the Perfect climate control,
    I simply made a Dual 3D Printer Climate Control box from a single Sheet of Partial board Then used Plastics Sheets with hinges for doors.

Including smoke alarm, an Bathroom Fan Vent to exhaust fumes to outside by Dryer exhaust vent.

The Twins 2018-3.jpg
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 03-11-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you don't need that much space.
    Well depends on how many printers you have.

i've got three on one desk and a 4th on the fridge.
    there are pics around somewhere.
    As far as temperatures go.

you're in california - don't think you'll need a heater - dehumidifier maybe.

My workshop (garage) varies between 12c in winter up to 30c on a hot summer day. They all Print fine, regardless of the temperature.
    The humidity - far more important, hovers around 45-55% which seems to work well for pla.

The ends of the rolls do get a little brittle if nothing's been p[rinted for a while. I guess I should unload when i go away.
    But as my annual holiday currently consists of 1 week at the beginning of march to go to the international slinging meeting in mallorca, hardly seems worth it :-)

Thanks guys.
    So far I am at +2 for moving my stuff to the garage
    Dang I was hoping you would talk me out of it! haha

Oh and btw sorry if I put this in the wrong forum. I was going to post it in General 3d printing discussion, but it seems like it's under attack from China so I came here instead.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol we clear the spam as fast as we can.
    Sometimes a bot will just flood a particular section.
    Just ignore it, someone will clear it :-)

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by sdtag View Post
    Thanks guys.
    So far I am at +2 for moving my stuff to the garage
    Dang I was hoping you would talk me out of it! haha
    Though I do not have a garage, moved my 3D Printers into a Work Shop area of the home basement area.
    If you have a basement you know that once smells get in here is almost no way of getting the smells out.

With almost no room left in the shop area it was quite the chore to find available space for the large 2ft x 2ft x 4ft enclosure to sit.
    Added a Dryer vent to the outside with a bathroom vent fan to exhaust potentially dangerous fumes and have an Ionic Breeze to help eliminate smells.
    A 3D Printer without a UPS backup, NO!, picked up a Three APC 2200 with dead batteries for free only cost was the replacement batteries $137.00 US each.
    However one was DOA !!! An so we go through a lot to support our new hobbies.

I'm in So Cal. We don't have basements here. I'm not sure why, earthquakes maybe?
    All our houses here are on a slab of concrete poured right on the ground. No giant hole to dig.
    Some of the older houses in So Cal are on a raised foundation, but still have no basement.
    So, back to the garage. I know it is probably the right thing to do but I'm fighting it. I like having my printers and arduinos and stuff in my office. But I don't have any room left to add a third printer, so again I'm torn.
    I bought some plastic storage containers to try and organize my mess a little. Organized chaos!
    still fighting it...

thanks Alice.
    Where do you keep your printer(s)?

I am looking to purchase a good 3D printer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast