Close

Azteeg X3 hot end help

Hi all,

Apologies in advance, I'm not a 3D printing enthusiast and my knowledge base only goes as far as what I need to operate the printer we have at work. Our printer is custom-made and locally sourced. As such there is often stuff on it that breaks. It has a Panucatt Azteeg X3 controller and we use Simplify 3D to run our prints.

Today the hot end wouldn't heat up, and I believe it's because the controller is no longer sending power to the port in which the hot end is connected to. The LED indicator on the controller turns on when we turn on the extruder from Simplify 3D, but there's no voltage to the wires. Probably a faulty connection in the board.

In any case, I noticed that there are several more ports labeled 'H-end 2', 'H-end 3' etc. so I would like to just move the extruder wires over to one of these. Can anyone tell me how I would get the controller to send power to a different port instead of the faulty one? I'm assuming there's something that could be done within Simplify 3D.

Our other option is to just buy a new board and swap everything over, but I'd like to see what the helpful forum members have to say first. Let me know if there's more info I should provide. Thanks a lot!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    should be pretty easy in s3d.
    just change the extruder to tool 1.
    by default the hotend is tool 0 (weirdly so is the heated bed - never quite worked that one out) second extruder is tool 1, 3rd tool 2 etc.

So if you switch the wires to h-end2, and set up a profile using tool 1 - it 'should' work :-)

That's one fancy controller board.

Can't see clearly in photos, but make sure the temp sensor is also moved to appropriate socket - assuming there is one.

Thanks for the reply! Yes I believe there is a second port for a thermistor. Could you please explain where to begin to set up a new tool profile? I did notice in the control wizard in s3d (little gear symbol on the right) that there is a dropdown to choose tool 0-5, but whenever I select a tool other than 0 I get a message in the communications dialogue box saying 'inactive extruder' or something like that.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well you need to plug it in first