Close

Printing a motorcycle headlight bucket on Raise 3D Pro2

Thought I would share a little project I'm working on. I'm pretty new to 3D printing so I'm open to feedback.

I've designed a motorcycle headlight bucket to house internals from a Hella Black Magic 500 headlight. A buddy of mine has a Raise 3D Pro2 printer and is willing to let me use it.

Headlight_02.28.jpg Headlight Exploded.jpg

The material used will need to be able to withstand heat and vibration. I did some heat tests and found that the back of the headlight reaches 120C. After talking with some folks at MatterHackers and looking at material spec sheets it seemed like a PC/ABS filament would work. It has a HDT of 140C. The print temp is high, about 290C, which is just shy of the Raise's max print temp so we thought we'd try it. I bought "Proto-Pasta Polycarbonate ABS Alloy Black - 1.75mm" from MatterHackers and sent it to him.

Well, the part kept failing right from the start. Turns out that filament requires a bed temp of 120C and the Raise maxes out at 90C. He tried maxing out the extrusion temp to compensate but it still failed.

We need to find a better material. In the meantime he printed the parts for me in PLA to test out dimensions.

IMG_9537.jpg Moto-Mucci_Custom_KTM_300_Build (43).jpg 68515610-CF2D-4A8E-AED0-B3C6B870833B.jpg

The bucket was done at the 2nd highest resolution. The bracket was done at the highest res. If anyone has any material recommendations please let me know.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    can you get an led headlight ?

It's not just bed temp for polycarbonate - it's a real bastard to get it to stick to anything.

You could try hi-temp pla, but it's pretty expensive.

There is pla that you bake in the oven and that changes the crystal structure and makes it more resistant to heat - not sure if it goes as high as 140c though.
    Hence the led headlight option :-)

ABS will work, I made a lamp door for my DLP projector and has not distorted at all.. PLA blew out in an hour.

My new favorite is Taulman Alloy 910.. no heated bed but does print at 250C Really like it a lot, no smell and really tough stuff.
    http://taulman3d.com/910-features.html
    Prints as good though a .25 nozzle as a .5.
    Had issues with thickness consistence .. emailed them and they replaced the roll, but I have not had time to check it. Either way I like this material for thing that need to be robust. Print better than PETG thats for sure.. look at this tiny box and screw adjuster .

.20190118_102702.jpg box small.jpg

I spoke to Raise3D and they recommended going with NylonX, MatterHacker's carbon filled nylon. They even had a machine setup spec sheet for the material which was super helpful. We did a couple test prints of tiny objects and they came out great. FYI we are using 1.75 mm filament and a .4 wear resistant nozzle (recommended by Raise)Here's the filament specs for Raise:https://www.raise3d.com/pages/the-op...rogramI'll post photos up once we get the parts printed. I have to make a few CAD tweaks first.

Quote Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
    ABS will work, I made a lamp door for my DLP projector and has not distorted at all.. PLA blew out in an hour.

My new favorite is Taulman Alloy 910.. no heated bed but does print at 250C Really like it a lot, no smell and really tough stuff.
    http://taulman3d.com/910-features.html
    Prints as good though a .25 nozzle as a .5.
    Had issues with thickness consistence .. emailed them and they replaced the roll, but I have not had time to check it. Either way I like this material for thing that need to be robust. Print better than PETG thats for sure.. look at this tiny box and screw adjuster .

.20190118_102702.jpg box small.jpg
    I was just reading about that alloy filament on MH. It sounds pretty cool. Unfortunately I don't think it will stand up to the heat in this case. It has a "95?C working range" which I assume is the limit for heat deformation.

Quote Originally Posted by motomucci View Post
    I was just reading about that alloy filament on MH. It sounds pretty cool. Unfortunately I don't think it will stand up to the heat in this case. It has a "95?C working range" which I assume is the limit for heat deformation.
    I just goggle Tg as I was unaware of the specs meaning.. this article is on the sport for the alloy 910 discussion.
    https://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/print...eem-t6661.html