Thought I would share a little project I'm working on. I'm pretty new to 3D printing so I'm open to feedback.

I've designed a motorcycle headlight bucket to house internals from a Hella Black Magic 500 headlight. A buddy of mine has a Raise 3D Pro2 printer and is willing to let me use it.

Headlight_02.28.jpg Headlight Exploded.jpg

The material used will need to be able to withstand heat and vibration. I did some heat tests and found that the back of the headlight reaches 120C. After talking with some folks at MatterHackers and looking at material spec sheets it seemed like a PC/ABS filament would work. It has a HDT of 140C. The print temp is high, about 290C, which is just shy of the Raise's max print temp so we thought we'd try it. I bought "Proto-Pasta Polycarbonate ABS Alloy Black - 1.75mm" from MatterHackers and sent it to him.

Well, the part kept failing right from the start. Turns out that filament requires a bed temp of 120C and the Raise maxes out at 90C. He tried maxing out the extrusion temp to compensate but it still failed.

We need to find a better material. In the meantime he printed the parts for me in PLA to test out dimensions.

IMG_9537.jpg Moto-Mucci_Custom_KTM_300_Build (43).jpg 68515610-CF2D-4A8E-AED0-B3C6B870833B.jpg

The bucket was done at the 2nd highest resolution. The bracket was done at the highest res. If anyone has any material recommendations please let me know.