Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it me, or is this NOT a good deal on ABS filament?

I saw this today on Midnightbox.com.
    Repraper ABS 3D Printer Filament Bundle (Diameter: 1.75mm, Length 400m) - Choose From 5 Colors
    http://www.midnightbox.com/cgi-bin/item/10064262-110/repraper-abs-3d-printer-filament-bundle-diameter-1-75mm-length-400m--choose-from-5-colors-.html

They offer it for $35.95 and say the retail price is $119.99.
    I just don't think that's right. But I am new at getting into the 3D printing world, and really don't have a base of what's a good price on filament.

Engineer-in-Training
    Without knowing how much a meter of filament weighs to convert that 400m into kg it's hard to tell if it's a deal or not. Visually that spool doesn't appear to be hugely sized though so I would guess that it's close to the usual 1kg of material in which case it's not an AWFUL price, but it's no deal.

Engineer
    400m of abs is 1kg. $35 is not too bad. 119 is just some marketing bs.

Jim, where did you see that 400m of 1.75mm ABS is 1kg? In my searches, I haven't come across any definitive source on how to map weight to length for filament. And do you know if that conversion is roughly the same for PLA and PET?

Senior Engineer
    They are all about hte same. I reckon 470 is average ish for one kg. Easy enough to work out from density and diameter.

Engineer
    i dont recall off hand but i just looked it up 2 days ago and found someone that had all the math done with the weights for each plastic and set to meters for 1.75mm and 3mm filament. abs was 400 in 1.75. pla is different. if i remember right it weighs a little more so there is less length on the spool. pet was not listed. just abs and pla.

According to Wikipedia, ABS density is 1.060-1.080 grams per cubic centimeter. Ignoring the density of colourants and other materials, 400m of 1.75mm filament would weigh a bit over 2Kg. It's a bit late, but I think I got the math right (pi * diameter * length / density).

Senior Engineer
    pi*r^2 not pi*d

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    pi*r^2 not pi*d
    This is what happens when it's late at night and you confuse the area equation with the circumference.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Engineer
    The only ABS filament I will bother pay much is ABS from affinia since I had worked with them before and the fact I got contact that were very pleased with the results. Crap translucide or glowing barely stick together or delaminate too easily if you aren,t careful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast