Close

Question Insufficient filament output

I just started to print my first really large object and had huge problems with the filament output. As you can see on the pictures, the filament seems to have been outputed fine in the beginning, but after a certain time the print becomes kinda holey. Further upwards it gets better, but then it gets really bad.
    Sometimes I can hear a loud crackling and I think that it comes from the extruder, but I don't know if it just doesn't hold the filament tight enough or if something is blocking the filament on the way to the nozzle/heatend.
    My idea was to remove the hotend and clean it (and/or the nozzle) but that seems to be quite an effort and I was hoping that you might have another idea in the first place.

Anycubic i3 Mega
    Red PLA Filament 1.75mm @ 200?C
    0.4 mm nozzle
    Glassbed 70?C
    Attached Images Attached Images

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Would venture to guess that the filament got tangled.

I checked, but the filament comes really smoothly from the roll.
    Could it be that the hotendor nozzle are (partly) blocked? That doesn't really fit the varying density of the print, but maybe this comes from some retraction process/option that pushed the blocking elements?
    What can you recommend here? Remove and clean the nozzle or this cold pull thing?

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    The Hot End nozzle can cause this problem if is have the throat Teflon tube inside that has melted from the throat.
    In the attached Image the Nozzles has part of the Teflon tube melted into them this causes under-extrusion.

Nozzle & Throat.jpg

Proper throat cooling will prevent this, I have added a 2 fin heat sink to the throat.
    Further modifying the model cooling duct to cool the throat.
    Sensor.jpg

This is not limited to just the nozzle the Teflon tube in the throat can become deformed restricting the filament movement into the nozzle.

This will only apply if the throat in your 3D Printer has a Teflon tube inside.

Throat.jpg

It hasn't ?\_(ツ)_/?