Close

PLA and air pressure. Any advice on thickness for ~100 psi

Hi,

I play Airsoft (similar to paintball) and I?m planning on printing an adapter using PLA filament. This adapter will be connected to and HPA tank, that will be adjusted to ~100psi. Will the PLA material sustain that pressure? Any guidance on the thikness of the adapter to be able to sustain that pressure?

This adapter is a 3in x 2in x 0.5 in. The bottom (0.5in side) will have a quick connect that will be connected to the HPA tank and the top side will have a 5mm hole where the air will come out. Is 3mm wall enough to hold the 100psi inside this capsule?

Thank you,
    mvago
    Last edited by Mvago; 02-12-2019 at 11:35 AM.

3d printed parts are most likely going to leak.. and pla would certainly not be the right choice for a part that could burst. Nylon/EPA, Taulman Alloy 910, maybe PETG, but no way would I attempt using PLA. 3mm may be think enough to hold air printed 100% depending on the surface are that is 3mm think but you would need to test at low pressure to see if it will leak. I have no experience with what you are trying to do, but I was an auto tech for 10 year and have and still use compressed air on a regular basis. Prototype with PLA and test it where no one but you can get hurt if it cuts loss.. good luck

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    100psi - Hmm.
    What shape is the tank going to be and what orientation are you going to print it in.
    A rectangle with a hollow interior could work as you culd print it lying down and then wrap it in some really shit hot sticky tape.
    I can't see it holding pressure unless you seal it or wrap it in fibreglass resin, or something similiar.

In short - it's probably not going to work.

Black vinyl plumbers tape could work.
    It self anneals and if you wrap it with stretch, it exerts a decent amount of compression.
    So print the tanl. Wrap it in a couple layers of stretched black vinyl plumbers tape (other coklours are available) then seal it with some kind of paint on resin.

If it still blows up - it's not my fault :-)

That is great to know What about using resin material for that? Will the object printed on a resin 3D printer be able to hold that? Is resin stronger? I also have access to a resin printer, if that is better I can try on that one.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    resin would be more airtight.
    But not necessarily stronger.

There is a reason most people use a one piece metal 'bottle' for that kind of pressure.

I wouldn't try it with anything less than a 5mm wall - and I'd still tape it !