Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do you recommend a 3D Printer for a 13 Year Old

My 13 year old nephew has been wanting a 3D printer for over a year now. His father (my brother) thinks he is too young to own and operate one. I however feel that he could easily learn how to use it (with help from his Uncle - me). I'm willing to purchase him a Cube 3D Printer but his father still is unsure. What are you opinions? Is 13 too young to own and operate a 3D printer, or would it be beneficial to his education and well being?

I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thanks!

Too young at 13? If he can handle an iPhone, XBox and Facebook, then he can handle a 3D printer.

It will get him out of the house and into the workshop, and he might learn some useful skills.

I would make sure that he researched the development of 3D printers so he has a good background knowledge. He will need help learning to use a CAD program, but that knowledge is no burden to carry.

Old Man Emu

Technician
    My guess is that 3D printing should be learned at a younger age. So 13 is not too young.

If he has been wanting one for a year now, then he's most probably really interested.

Using e.g. openSCAD as modelling 3D modelling language
    teaches geometry math and programming in a playful manner.

I'd avoid a rather closed system like the cube printer. See here:
    http://betabeat.com/2012/05/maker-mo...ng-cartridges/

Being able to improve the printer is part of the fun.
    Makerbot & Ultimaker have the gratest US & EU community respectively since they're the ones longest around.
    There are plenty of upgrades and accessoires for those printers on the Thingiverse website already.
    Don't worry the DIY printer sets are really easy to assemble.
    Last edited by mechadense; 11-04-2013 at 08:36 AM.

A 3D printer would contribute to his abilities a considerable amount, MUCH much more so than video games, or any other thing available. He would learn valuable skills, that can be used later in life. Skills that would give him a huge head start in programming, engineering, and many other areas, that can help with job opportunities. It is never too young to learn things that advance your job opportunities, especially something that is of interest to a young person.

Too young ? What dangers does his father see ? Is his father afraid he will be asked questions he does not know how to answer ? Is he afraid he will be shown up ? I think his father's excuses are weak at best. Buy him a decent 3D printer, ask around on various forums as to what is best for a young person. This technology is changing RAPIDLY, it is too every advantage for a person to understand as much as they can as young as possible !

Technician
    Get the nephew to show you he is ready. Have him produce some models on the PC. They had courses in CAD when I was in HS nearly 2 decades ago. Have him write you a report on what he would do it with it.

I was thinking about buying my nephew a 3D printer for Christmas. I don't know how old he is but I think he is around 10. The kid already has everything else, iPhone 4s, kindle fire, kindle paperwhite and iPad mini. He is not a computer wiz by any means. He looks competent on the mobile devices though.

I just see him playing web games and mindcraft on the PC. I want to see him get into STEM projects but I think this 3D printing stuff is way over his head.

I did order him an Arduino kit with ethernet on indiegogo. I also bought myself a few kits since its dirt cheap and comes with tons of stuff. It has video lessons and even a book. BE MAKER! KIT http://tinyurl.com/lxlrsv4

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Let me give you a personal opinion based on myself.

I started working with a Makerbot Replicator 2 when I had just turned 15. Looking back, now about to turn 17, I regret not looking into this sooner. It has opened up so many opportunities for me, including jobs at my school working with the printers I started with.

I think that you should get it for him. I am starting to save up my money to buy one of my own, and I greatly wish that I had gotten one a few years back because I'm thinking of all the things I could have done.

Student
    13 the kids almost in high school. At 13 I was using a table saw, lathe, roto-mold, vacuum former and drill press in shop class. I would say 4-5 might be to young to operate the printer but even at that age they could design something and have their parent use the printer.

My 19 month son can take the iPad, open it, choose his game, play it. My guess is you could begin to play with that at 10 even before with some help!

I would say let him also learn Solidworks of another modeling Software,

Since imo if you have a printer, you should also be able to make something with it, Make something you made and not always STLs from the web.
    If he actualy wants to learn it, and shows he realy wants one and is intrested in the technology sure he will love it ^^

I just wouldnt give a Printer right away at every user that doesnt even know how to create a cube.

Also i wouldnt ofc let him play with it alone the first months but thats kinda normal i guess ^^ you can't do alot wrong but still.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast