Close

MiniBuilders, Tiny 3D Printing Robots Can Construct Large Buildings

Here is yet another amazing new way to 3D print large scale objects, without the need of a large scale 3D printer. Researchers at IAAC have developed 3 robots, all used in the production of a large 3D printed object like a building. The Grip Robot, Vacuum Robot, and Foundation Robot make up the construction team. They each have their ow purpose within the 3d printing of a large objects. The full details of each robot can be found here: http://3dprint.com/6340/minibuilders-3d-print-robots/
    What do you guys think Does this approach have merit? Could we see 3D printed buildings constructed with these robot any time soon?

Here is a picture of the Grip Robot in action:

Staff Engineer
    Okay, that is really cool. I was half expecting something rediculous like the quadcopter "flying printer" stunt. These bots actually seem to make a fairly sturdy and precice structure. Also, it seems to go further vertically than previous large structure printers, tall enough to actually print-in-place practical structures.

That said, I don't want to rain on their parade... But how would they make a door in their structure? Or close the top?

Technician
    This is a really smart approach, I think this will open a lot more possibilities with shapes and sizes.
    @Feign, What about cutting the openings out after the printing? And closing tops could be done with dome shapes or maybe prefab printed parts.

Staff Engineer
    I guess cutting out openings later isn't out of the question, perhaps with a modification of that vaccuum bot that carries a cutter. I notice it looks like these things are using a two-part compound rather than concrete, so it might not be so unreasonable to cut through it. As it is, this is certainly a good start for a new technology.

Nice approach. Has the wheels turning for other applications. Why not print details that enable further steps or for the follow-on robot sort of like manufacturing dowels? Need a structural but "dissolvable" second material like FDM processes for windows and doors.