Close

printer rexommendations, PLEASE! :-)

I have recently discovered that these wonderful machines are within my grasp, financially, of course. I just feel a bit overwhelmed, as what I'm searching for seems hard to find.

Im looking for a printer that will allow me to print using Zytel or fiberglass or a similar type of high strength material.

IS there such a material available for printing? I'm thinking the same end quality of a fiberglass Axe handle would work.

Hopefully, I'll be able to find what I'm looking for. With your help of course!

Thanks everyone! I'm willing to work with what's out there. Just get me as close as possible for under a grand?

Engineer
    nothing is going to print zytel, fiberglass or anything similar. those are composites. you will never get that kind of strength out of printed object.....especially for under a grand. there are fairly strong plastics out the like pet, nylon, abs is sorta strong. there are also some more specialty filaments out there like pla with carbon fiber in it but its just powder added. dont think for a minute you are going to get the strength anywhere near the realm of an actual laid up carbon fiber or fiberglass part.

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    nothing is going to print zytel, fiberglass or anything similar. those are composites.
    Agreed... And in fact, fiberglass uses some catalyst to convert it from a liquid to a solid. You won't get a hobbyist printer than can handle materials like that. But still.... There are all kinds of really neat things you can do with the existing materials.

I can accept all of the above. Glad I can stop searching in fact.

My logical next question is what if anything could come close?

I believe a few years ago I saw a printer that made 3d models using the material being printed along with a "filler" material to support undercuts and such. Is there anything like that out there?

Thanks again

Engineer
    any dual extruder printer will do that. abs is usually the print material and the support is HIPS. the HIPS is dissolved with limonene. it usually take quite awhile to do it but it can be done. there are many different plastics out there all with their strengths and drawbacks. 3d printing is not a perfect science. every material prints differently. a part may print fine in one material and not in another. the biggest problem we face is warping of the part while printing. this is only overcome by printers with a heated build chamber. these printers are commercial and stratasys holds the patent.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorshammer81 View Post
    I can accept all of the above. Glad I can stop searching in fact.

My logical next question is what if anything could come close?

I believe a few years ago I saw a printer that made 3d models using the material being printed along with a "filler" material to support undercuts and such. Is there anything like that out there?

Thanks again
    The way I see it... Maybe you can't manufacture the part with 3D-Printers... But you might be able to create the molds to quickly fabricate thousands of what ever you need....