Close

Arrow Help appreciated regarding Filament material (Strength / Water contact / food safe)

Dear all,

My first post in the forum. I just ordered the Series 1 Pro and am eager to quick prototype and print various products.

My focus is on one I have been working with for more than 2 years. I can't disclose what it is exactly, but I can say it will be used as a small hydroponic desystem. What that means, is that it will need to hold water, non-soil media, and the plants. Think of a square vase roughly a sq ft with just under a ft of depth.

I bought the Series Pro because of the printing volume. Obviously my job is rather large for 3d printing as well as meet a few factors.

-The first of which is the structural ability to hold light media and a gallon or two of water. I am not sure what the thickness of the walls will end up being, I will be comparing a few variations as well as playing with the infill.

-Equally as important, the material will need to be resistant to water, as well as meet food safety standards.

-Lastly, I want to the material to be as environmentally friendly/harmless as possible

This is going to be a product after all, so it has to be viable. My first thoughts were on the promising properties of PLA. I believe I have read somewhere that PLA will have slight wear when in contact with water. Moreover it is plant based as well as affordable. My real concerns are with the strength and durability of the print as a result of the functionality behind my product. I know PLA is improving constantly, and I'm even beginning to consider the carbon fiber infused filament as a viable option insofar it meets the food safety standards; perhaps the reinforcement qualities of carbon fiber would result in a dramatic reduction of infill, and thus cost of print.

With that said, this isn't a backyard system. It's innovative, aesthetically appealing, and for the indoors.

Suggestions to the aforementioned would be highly appreciated!

Regards,
    Djimo

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Djimo, how is your project going?Have you also considered PETT and PETG? Some of them are foodsafe such as T-glase and HDGlass and obviously great for water contact as well as good mechanical properties.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    ralph will you please stop resurrecting these really old posts.
    Not only is it bloody annoying but I keep typing answers BEFORE checking the bloody date.

A member who posted 1 post 4 years ago is NEVER going to answer - so what is the point in bringing the thread back up ??????

if I didn't know better I'd assume you just wanted links to your website to appear on the front page of the forum.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Well, like you I also didn't look at that date..maybe he'll respond - I just wanted to know if he found solutions.