Close

Threaded View

Question 3d Printing a 20 Sided Die. HELP!!!

Printer: Prusa I3 Mk3
    Material: Prusa PLA
    Settings (as many as I can remember as of final print): 0.10 MM Detail, 100% Infill Rectilinear, 15 mm Brim, 7 Layer Raft, Custom supports only on outside of die, Higher temps on brim and raft to help with cohesion to the bed.

I am fairly new to 3d printing but had an idea on a fun project. I am trying to make a D20 (20 sided die) that is hollow and most see through (see Model). but I am having some extreme problems when trying to print. I have tried many variations on how the dice should be oriented on the bed. I have tried 1 of the faces flat against the plate this ended up getting me the best total number of decent numbers. However, the top and bottom letters are trash unless I make the dice fist sized (see Flat_face). Next I tried on one of the tips of the die but this caused that tip to be misshapen and extended further than the other tips. The best so far I have found is laying it along one of the edges between numbers, However I am still getting badly printed numbers on the sides closest to that edge, as well as the edge itself (See comparison of Good Side and Bad Side Photos) . Is this caused by the angle of the sides? Is this design too ambitious for my printer? Am I using the wrong Material? Any tips? I tried to include as many details on my setup as possible but I will gladly answer any followup questions!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mordred; 01-10-2019 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Formatting