Close

Threaded View

Student

Cost and Charging Advice

Hey Guys,

This probably has been beat into the ground but I really need some advice. I'm a hobbyist, and didn't really get my printer to start a business. I have a FlashForge Creator Pro, about $900. Anyways. I've printed a few kichy items here and there for people I know and now people want to pay me to print stuff for them. But I'm still a little confused on best practice.

So I'm currently printing a couple engineered parts for an assembly. I'm printing with PLA as prototypes only, my friend would eventually like some more durable materials and I recommended SLA for the final part. Anyways here's the breakdown of the job.

Pie Cut Print Job: 2 Jobs (printed the thing twice)

1. Time: 6 hours (2 individual parts on the bed)

2. Filament Used: 1100 mm (11 m of filament out of the roll)

3. Cost of the Roll: $30.00 -------------> $2.17 for filament used

Total for Both: $47.17

So based on calculators it says the filament cost for filament is about $2.17 for both jobs. However that's 12 hours on the printer. I've read that a base Printer Tech fee is $15 per hour which would be a ton of money for 12 hours of print time. I figured I would only charge him 3 hours worth of work at the $15 rate and count the time I messed around in the slicer and cleaning up the first batch with sanding/filing. Hence the total I came to was the $47.17

Is this a reasonable rate? He said he was quoted about $120 at an online service.. Remember what I said earlier about not wanting to start a business. I'm just looking for some more professional advice on what to charge in case I do start doing this more frequently. I'm a newbie to this so I'm just looking for advice on best practice.

Thanks,

T.
    Last edited by Rkitekt01; 01-07-2019 at 08:01 PM. Reason: typo on material used