Close

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

Message for filament manufacturers !!!

I've got a roll of red pla that's currently running out. hands down soem of the best filament I've ever used.
    But the reel has no identifying words or labels so i have no idea where I bought it from and who made it.
    The filament is wound perfectly so i think it's probably reprapper tech red.

I by a lot of different makes from amazon and ebay, and if it's nothing unusual, then after a while I do not remember where it came from - and 90% of the filament reels I have have little or no manufacturers or retailers identification on them. Most will tell you it's pla, some add a colour, some even add printing temps - but almost none have manufacturer or retailer identification.

So my heartfelt plea for 2019 and beyond:
    IF YOU ARE A FILAMETN MANUFACTURER OR RETAILER - PLEASE PLEASE, PUT SOME IDENTIFICATION ON YOUR FILAMENT REELS, SO WE CAN RE-ORDER THE GOOD STUFF !!!

THANKYOU

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I've got a roll of red pla that's currently running out. hands down soem of the best filament I've ever used.
    But the reel has no identifying words or labels so i have no idea where I bought it from and who made it.
    The filament is wound perfectly so i think it's probably reprapper tech red.

Hi Aardvark,

Sorry to dig up an old thread,
    Ever got around to knowing which filament it was?

Cheers,

LennieB

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    don't remember that lol
    the best red is flashforge red. It's a bit translucent, but seriously good stuff.
    The only eary neatly wrapped filament I had was the reprapper brand from 3dfilaprint.
    Not sure if they still do it. I think last time I looked, all the cheaper stuff was under their own brand.

These days I'm mainly using balco brand from aldi (got a stack at christmas) and some other stuff I got really cheap off amazon. Around £15 a kg I think.
    Both are excellent brands of filaments.

Plus I tend to get black and white from ebay when it's around the £10 a kg mark.

Haven't bought much recently as I'm pretty well stocked up and not doing many larger prints at the moment.

Plus prices have all gone silly.
    I could do with some transparent pla - but can't find any for love nor money (well sensible money anyway).

Th amazon stuff I've been using is bq brand: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still £13 a kg delivered on prime - and it is very good stuff. Perfectly clean retractions on the white, black and red. Haven't had any other of their colours as they don't do transparent or blue.

But like the bq brand electronics this is excellent stuff at silly prices. Shame they don't do a transparent.

The only problem with it is the design of the reels.
    The lip on one side is almost nonexistent, so you have to be careful the filament doesn't come off and wrap round the holder.
    I get round it on the delta by turning the spool over and pulling it from the top - usually I pull from the bottom.
    And not using brand new spools on the other machines.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-21-2020 at 11:24 AM.