Close

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse

3D Printing takes on Injection Molding

Ok, so now I have to eat my words. I've said many times here that I thought that 3d printing would never replace other high-volume production methods and that we need to think of 3d printing as "another tool" instead of a replacement for current production methods. Well, 3D Systems is making a fool of me. And, I'm thrilled to be made a fool of. They have printed 2,400 of the same part in about 20 hours. That begins to rival other high-volume manufacturing methods. That's way, way faster than my Makerfarm...lol...

Read more here:

3D Printing takes on Injection Molding
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

That's for only 2,400 pieces, barely the starting point for injection molding. The cost per part at that level might even have been the same. However, add a couple of zeros and the picture changes dramatically.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Not trying to split hairs or debate injection molding speeds. Cycle times depend on part size, material and a host of other factors. The point being, 3d printing can be competitive as a production process. Not all products require extra zeros as not all products need to be manufactured in the millions per day. For a tremendous number of products, a few hundred or a few thousand a day is sufficient. The bonus is, there are no molds to make and remake as they wear out. You don't have issues with parting lines and sprues. There is also no lead time for mold design and manufacture.

If printing 2,400 pieces a day is the number they can reach now in its infancy, we can speculate that those numbers will increase significantly in the next few years. I personally find this exciting news.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com