Close

Threaded View

Printing rough after Titan-Aero upgrade

I recently upgraded my CR-10S from bowden to e3D Titan Area + Volcano. Seemed ok at first. Couple tiny test prints looked fine, but now I'm realizing everything I print, no matter what I setting I try, looks much worse than the stock setup and can't figure out why.

The surface smoothness isn't as good as before, but more importantly, after the first few mm, the print gets very very rough, on the sides, and especially on the corners. It stays rough for awhile, then gets fairly smooth again. I'm also seeing some weird diagonal patterns. Haven't run into any of this in the past. The piece I just printed (twice)... the inside always looks just fine, which seems weird.

I'll attach a few pics. I printed a small triangle bowl (my design) - with default CR-10 settings in Simplify3D, except I changed the retraction distance from 5mm to 1mm for direct drive. 100% infill, which I realize can be problematic, but had zero issues doing so with the stock setup, and with the same model. I also tried 90% infill and that didn't make a difference.

Anyway, I printed the bowl twice - first at 0.90 extrusion multiplier, and then at 0.80 extrusion multiplier since I thought maybe it was overextruding. Slightly different patterns, but no real improvement.

I tried printing at 220 C all the way down to 190 C, and that didn't change anything. Also decreased the bed temp from 65 C to 50 C and that didn't help. I tried with and without fan - no difference. Printer is in a small room with vents covered, so no drafts, about 65 F. Swapped in a new nozzle (0.4 for both) - no difference.

The extruder is perfectly calibrated. If I tell it to extrude 100mm, it extrudes exactly 100mm.

I've watched it while it was printing rough and I don't see anything going wrong. The nozzle and bed temps are fine - double-checked the temp with an infrared meter. The filament is not the problem, since I switched to a known good black filament and the problem was still there.

The whole print head seems pretty solid - more than stock if anything. I don't see any mechanical problems nor any problems with my slicer settings, especially since I went back to defaults. I really don't know what else to try. Any idea? I've researched and read through a few printing artifact guides and don't really see anything that matches.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by traxon; 12-03-2018 at 09:22 PM.