Close

Question New Fillament, New problems

So I got a 3D printer around 2.54 weeks ago (geetech i3 pro b), and had gotten my prints up to a decent quality using the supplied sample filament, however I had to buy new filament (Surreal pure PLA) and since have been having this issue:
    The print is very porous, resulting in brittle parts that are usually only held together by their first layer or two. I'm new to 3D printing so do not know how to resolve this issue, any advise would be appreciated Also let me know if there are any other settings I should provide.46761033_2311946635719093_5215802005020213248_n.jpg

Printer: Geeetech i3 Pro B
    Filament : Surreal Pure PLA 1.7mm
    Bed Temp: 60 C
    Extruder Temp: tried 180 and 200 C
    Flowrate: Tried 100,102 and 120%
    Slicer: Cura

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    The model appears to be under extruded.

Here is one I printed.

3mm - 1.75mm.jpg

What I determined was I had mistakenly set Cura Slicer to a filament diameter of 3mm in and should have been set to 1.75mm
    This caused my Under Extrusion.

I have had the Throat tube Teflon tube deform causing the same filament under extrusion Shown below.

Nozzle & Throat.jpg

These Brass nozzles are plugged with the deformed Teflon tubing. There should be nothing but a brass nozzle.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 11-27-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply, I have checked my cura settings and my material diameter is set to 1.7mm and the nozzle size is 0.3mm.
    So I don't think this is the issue.

Not sure what your first filament was, could have been a poorly made PLA/ABS mixture.

A cold pull from your hot-end may very well solve your under extrusion. If that is the problem, nothing else that you do is going to solve the under-extrusion problem.

Thanks for your help,
    I believe this is the issue now as the nozzle has clogged completely. The filament is also stuck to the hotend so I think I'm in for a rough one

I would Heat the Hot-end up to ABS temperatures 240C ~ 150C
    Push the filament firmly thru the extruder until about 30~40mm of filament have been extruded.

Allow the nozzle to cool then do another cold pull, examine the Hot end parts clean the nozzle.
    If you have nozzle cleaning drills or replace nozzle they are consumables.

Even though I have a Teflon lined throat, still have problems as my hot-end was incorrectly designed.
    So I added a heat cooling half round fin about the heater block and applied a cooling fan.

Hot End Cooling.jpg

You can see in the Image I re-designed the Parts fan duct to also cool.
    I added Half round 2 fin heat shield for my Teflon coated throat.

This helped to keep the temperature down and deforming the Teflon tubing inserts.
    Before I was replacing the throats bi-monthly.

Hi again,
    Just wanted to say thanks a lot for your replies, I have found the source of the issues. My filament had actually gotten lodged way before the hot end and needed to be pushed through.
    But the cause of the under extrusion was actually an improperly tension-ed extruder feeder. I just had to tighten the grub screw and my issues were a lot less noticeable.
    Thanks Again